Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Some kind of vent mounted on body next to battery?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Some kind of vent mounted on body next to battery? by solotwo
Started on: 02-29-2004 04:12 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 03-01-2004 02:05 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Hi , seeing as today is nice out, I took my battery out to get a close look at the job I have to do to replace the tray. I am looking for any thing that my catch fire. No I am not going to use a torch. I am going to use a dremel and cut of part of the tray. I noticed on the other side of the body through an opening, a galvanized box. It is mounted out by the body. Upon futher inspection, I find it has lines runing out of the bottom of it. The lines run in to the car in the tunnel area. Is this some kind of vent for the fuel tank? I have a 88 coupe with the tech 4 and Isuzu 5 speed. The car has air and came from Texas. Is this some emissions for Texas or CA? If it is tied into the fuel system, then I need to be careful. Any Ideas?? I have looked through the factory manual and chiltons and haynes, but I cant find anything. Of course I dont know what it is called.
Thanks. S Williams

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 02-29-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wuzzy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
It is some kind of vapor recovery canister. I dont think you have to worry about sparks but I may be wrong.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
There is an expansion tank there for the fuel tank, be careful with it.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-29-2004 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
In order to increase the capacity of the '88 tanks the vapor space was moved to a remote tank. This space allows, among other things, the fuel to expand due to temperature changes. Do not remove this tank, and make sure it is not leaking before Dremelling in that area.

JazzMan

fiero86SE28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero86SE28Send a Private Message to fiero86SE28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wuzzy:

It is some kind of vapor recovery canister. I dont think you have to worry about sparks but I may be wrong.

Worry plenty... Vapor and spark is all you need to ruin your whole day.............. and then some. Keep a bucket of water handy or a hose.

------------------

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero86SE28:

Worry plenty... Vapor and spark is all you need to ruin your whole day.............. and then some. Keep a bucket of water handy or a hose.

Heck no! Water doesn't do much on a gasoline fire! Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher right there on hand and you can knock out any problem quick. Trust me, I've been there.

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
In order to increase the capacity of the '88 tanks the vapor space was moved to a remote tank. This space allows, among other things, the fuel to expand due to temperature changes. Do not remove this tank, and make sure it is not leaking before Dremelling in that area.
JazzMan

Then is the 88 the only model year that has this expansion tank?

------------------
FierOmar

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I believe the '87 year model also had the larger tank, so if it did it also will have the additional vapor tank.

JazzMan

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering what in the hell that was for! Often looked at it, poked it with my finger, gave it a puzzled glance.. it's kinda rusty in some places though.

And yes, mine's an '87

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
This is the vapor can and charcoal canister from an 88.

I took it out and replaced them with this one unit when I did my 3.5 conversion. The new unit is the black tank under the anti-lock brake modual. The stock vapor can used to be where the anti-lock modual is now.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock