SR20-DET? by Azriel
Started on: 02-29-2004 02:35 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: TaurusThug on 03-01-2004 08:39 PM
Azriel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
Considdering that almost anything worth doing requires an adapter plate anyway, if i had a chance to pick up a JDM SR20-DET turbo 4 cylender, would it really be that much harder to do than a Q4? It's a lot of money, naturally, and after getting the engine, I really wouldn't have the cash to get it in for a while, but tempting.

There are several older JDM engines that would be good too. If anyone has acess to an 87ish Toyota Supra, pls throw a tape measure on it and let me know if the 7M-GTE turbo inline 3.0L 6 will fit in the space. I'm sure the SR25-DET 2.5L 6 would, but that 5K for a JDM engine. Twice what I paid for my car. The plus to using the SR20-DET from the sylvia is that it can be found transverse mounted, and the other 2 are longitudinal only I believe. I could use the Nissan trans with custom axles and save myself a LOT of R&D time.

I was just looking at the ¼-mile database link on someone's sig, and the caddy times are not what I was wanting. Money may be making the anyway, but I would like to look at a few options before I do a lot of work to be average.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Azriel (edited 02-29-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobDirect Link to This Post
Well the Inline 6's are way to long to fit, plus arnt most of the SR20 engines rear drive, it would be a LOT of hassle when you could probley swap in a V8 using an archie kit,for less money, or like the above Quad 4, or any number of GM engines for a LOT less cash.

Later;

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
you could prob use teh tranny from a 200sx, they have a sr20 and its front wheel drive. i bet it would be a lot of work but you would have an insane amount of aftermarket support

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

SandstormGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SandstormGTSend a Private Message to SandstormGTDirect Link to This Post
a friend down here bought his 91' 240 coupe for 300$ and his sr20dett front clip for 1500$ and to tell you the truth....I havent seen anything(on the street) that has beaten him yet, he beats lightning with smaller pulleys, he raped a beatifull 69 camaro with 409 rwhp last night, mustangs lose horribly, its a sad thing because his is only running 14 psi on the stock motor and he has an open diff. (spins through 4th) he is putting out around 240-260 at the wheels. I did see a AWD talon take him out of the hole....but he ran him down very quickly...(talon runs 7.6's in the 1/8th)
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Nissans inline 6 is an "RB26DETT" (280HP), while their Inline 4 is an "SR20DET" (215HP)

I highly doubt the RB will fit in there, the SR20 should have no problems, its a fairly small engine.

The toyota inline 6 is HUGE. there is no way it'd fit between our shock towers... my neighbor has the engine from his supra out, and its gigantic.

James Z

------------------

greybeard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greybeardSend a Private Message to greybeardDirect Link to This Post
Thought about doing this a while back. Nice thing about the sr20 motor is it's all aluminum and super strong. At one time I had a 92 ser and a spare jdm motor. The tranny is 411 gears with viscus limited slip but it shifts with a rod no cables. Would reguire some major engineering. I think it would be a nice fit in a fiero though.

thanks
greybeard

84fiero4speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero4speedSend a Private Message to 84fiero4speedDirect Link to This Post
My friend has a 92 Nissan Sentra SE-R with the SR20 and a five speed and that thing hauls for a non-turbo 4-banger. He's dead-even with my 93 Talon N/T (a few mods on that one) until 90-100 mph. His car is a front wheel drive and sure the motor would fit. If I still had my Fiero I'd whip out the tape measure for you to make sure of it, but that Sentra is tiny man, much more narrow than my Talon which is probably about the same as the Fiero (don't quote me on that though, never measured). Good luck with the project though, I like anything unique!

P.S. Does anyone know who was doing the 4G63 swap into their Fiero? I haven't been on the fourm in a while so I never found out if it worked or not.

tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
RB engines are iron blocks. They are also a tight fit into a 240sx and make it extremely nose heavy.

SR20DE(T) Aluminum block, very light, and very strong.
SR20DET came in both rear drive (Silvia) and front drive (Bluebird) layouts. Bluebirds had a top mount intercooler.

SR20 Bluebirds are swapped into the Nissan Sentra on a regular basis.
Another alternative is to take a 2.0L SR20DE from a US Sentra and turbo it. If you do some searching you can find a lot of information on this.

------------------
1984 Indy
Getting ready for 3800sc w/ auto swap summer 2004.
(may replace the s/c with a turbo)
1995 240sx
SR20DET, FMIC, and a list if other goodies

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
SR20 would be great as a starting point lots of power for a 4 banger and if you turbo its got tons of potential, my friends 200sx with a SR20DE is dead on with my 86gt auto from 45-70.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock