These have to be the most frustrating thing to remove on the car. I've done front exhaust manifolds, everything else on the suspension, but this is the worst. I've been at the lower control arm bolts for hours now... banging, heating, more banging... how in the hell do you get these things off? I've read through the archives... heating them seems to be the most talked about method... but its not working for me. Somewhere else in the archives, someone mentioned on the inner sleeve there's a seam that you can try to split open... I've been at that seam for another hour itself. Anyone have any ideas? Feel like taking a crack at them? I'm gonna be like Homer soon, tearing my hair out.
------------------ '85 SE V6, undergoing GT conversion!
The only way I got mine off was cutting through the bushing with a Dremel tool and reinforced cutting wheels.
The inner sleeve of the bushing rusts to the bolt completely over time.
You do have an small chance of getting them off by trying to split the seam of the inner sleeve. If you look closely you'll find a seam that you can force a well-sharpened flathead screwdriver into. This technique didn't work for me, but I've heard of it working for others.
David DeVoe Member
Posts: 1358 From: Grand Blanc, MI US Registered: Jul 2001
Lets jump ahead to having gotten the bolts out......are these a commonly stocked item at, say, Autozone or do they have to be ordered. If not readily available where can they be gotten? I ask because I will be doing this same thing before too much longer and I am following all front end threads for info. Btw wish I could help but all I can do is offer my best wishes.
Ive been in your situation before, all the other control arm bolts came out except 1, front left lower control arm, hard banging, lots of heat, air powered punch gun, hacksaw, various helpers, the only way mine came out was with a steel cutting disc and an old dremel unit that sat on the floor. good luck
Posts: 2608 From: Jacksonville, Fl Registered: Oct 2002
When I replaced the rubber bushings with poly on my rear control arms, I had to soak them with PB Blaster for a few days then put a short breaker bar on one side so it wouldn't move and use a large breaker bar on the other side with a 3 foot section of pipe on the end to break them loose. I'm really glad I won't have to go thru that again any time soon. It took me the better part of 21/2 hours to get them both off.
Posts: 2579 From: Peterborough, Ontario Registered: Dec 2001