Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  GGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH @%#^ING WATER PUMP... need ur help.(big pic)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

GGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH @%#^ING WATER PUMP... need ur help.(big pic) by headhunter
Started on: 02-28-2004 06:13 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: headhunter on 02-28-2004 11:02 PM
headhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Geez... gimmie a friggen break.... was filling the engine coolant (3.1 done) and i hear my car taking the longest piss...

anyways heres a pic...

Seems there is a hole... doens't seem to have ridges though its in a very bad spot(hard to reach) and that was the best of 7 photos to get it.

Any ideas how to fill this? Anyone have pics of the water pumps for the v6's? ie the side that the gasket is on.

p.s. bolts are all done correctly... and even if the gasket didn't have the hole it would still have leaked anyways.

Ivan.

[This message has been edited by headhunter (edited 02-28-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Sorry, couldn't see your picture. Is it anywhere on this picture of my old V6 water pump?
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem when I finished my water pump.
I don't know how it happened, but the gasket on the thermostat was
bad, and started leaking just then. I would check on that and see
if that is the problem. I had one of the bolts break when I removed that....
sucks!
Water pumps are a b!tch on these cars, unless all goes well, which it never does!

Good luck...I know the pain man!

------------------
Speed never killed anybody...Its the sudden stops that kill!

headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
whats a weep hole and is it located in that red spot of silicone on the top photo?

Is there anyway to fill this?

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
DId u use silicone when u put the waterpump on?? I've heard bad things about doing that. Go with JUST the gasket, and seems to work the best.

then again, i could have misinterpreted ur post.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
At least one of the water pump mounting bolts goes thru a water passage and has to be coated with special sealant or it will leak thru that bolt hole.

If its leaking thru weep hole (tiny like 1/16" hole on bottom right below the shaft) the water pump bearing is gone and you need a new pump. There is no way to repair it, and plugging it still leaves you with the bad bearing.

headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Ok... this is what i have so far... weep hole is on pulley side... correct(ie should be visible)?

The gasket had a hole in this spot the same as the water pump so its a proper hole i guess...

From photos etc... it seems as if the hole is a pin hole to hold the gasket in place. For some reason the 3.1 doesn't have this??!

no idea...

am going to crappy tire to get some jb weld and fill the hole.... if you guys have any other ideas or suggestions....

btw the pump is 3 months old on 2.8 and switched to 3.1 when bearings went on rods. So it shouldn't be a weep hole.

Ivan.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
If the coolant is coming out of the weep hole DO NOT fill the hole, REPLACE Ithe pump... that means the seal is bad and coolant is flowing past the bearing. Sealing the hole will lead to a massive failure in a while when the bearing fails and the pump locks, flies apart or grenades.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The weep hole will be hard to see.it will be facing downward in line with the wp shaft and hidden behind the pulley.
headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Confirmed... not weep hole... hole is 1/4 or close to that(bottom of pump, where gasket is)... it seems to be hole for pin... i've had my hand up the exit tube end and could feel both sides. dunno how the hell i missed this... hope this jb stuff works... and seals it.

will update tomorrow morning.

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't go using JB weld on that....

It'll stick to where you cant get it off again and still probably wont fix the leak.
Just pull that pump and reinstall it. I know its a pain, but you will avoid getting
coolant in your oil and grenading that new 3.1 of yours.
Be sure to use RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket and let it set up a little
before you snug the bolts down, that way it created a really good seal by getting
compressed.

------------------
Speed never killed anybody...Its the sudden stops that kill!

PFF
System Bot
headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Geez the last thing i want to do right now is pull the motor... already have the jb on... and figure put some silicon. If it doesn't work then go for the pull.

If the hole was just a little further from the block i would have just put a bolt and nut to finish it off.

What a bugger.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock