Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  88GT wakes from the dead....sort of...Advice??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

88GT wakes from the dead....sort of...Advice?? by InDeX420
Started on: 02-28-2004 03:39 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: spark1 on 02-28-2004 04:33 PM
InDeX420

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post
Just got my second fiero back to running, well sort of running condition...the car had sat for 2 years since the overheating incedent that left me without an alternator bracket(Long story)...Well I had the car running today with a new alternator +cap/rotor...it runs fine as long as it was hooked up to jumper cables connected to my other fiero(running) when i take the cables off, the car runs for 30-60seconds and then stalls...When i rev the throttle the engine seems to bog, and then rev but the tach holds at 1k(not working????)..I have yet to put a new battery in, but I was told that if the alternator is good a car doesnt need a battery to keep running...Anyone have any ideas on this? or should i just keep the car running with jumper cables hooked to it? maybe to clean out 2 years worth of crap? Any help would be appreciated, Danks! in advance!!
(Hopefully someone can make something out of the chicken scratch I call a post)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timboski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timboskiSend a Private Message to timboskiDirect Link to This Post
If you unhook the battery cables and the car dies it is most likely the alternator,yes the car should be able to run with the battery unhooked,the alternator charges the battery and keeps it charged .
InDeX420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post
Thats what I thought...its a brand spankin new(rebuilt) Alternator too...and it was putting out 14volts at cables when i checked...
well Thanks again autopartstore of america..another crappy overpriced part that youve screwed me with hehe..

But any ideas on why the engine Bogs when rev'd??? that bothers me cause I thought I had this car working ok before she went down 2 years ago..

[This message has been edited by InDeX420 (edited 02-28-2004).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
You have to have a good battery to filter the alternator output on ECM vehicles.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock