Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Cooling/Radiator pressure/head gasket!!??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cooling/Radiator pressure/head gasket!!?? by dclink
Started on: 02-26-2004 11:10 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Electrathon on 02-28-2004 12:32 PM
dclink

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dclinkClick Here to visit dclink's HomePageSend a Private Message to dclinkDirect Link to This Post
I am still having cooling concerns. A radiator guy said with the car warm, and the cap off, the fluid should just sit in the car and not "gush out." He said if there was undue pressure, it could be a head gasket!

this is the new/used motor I just spent the last 3 months cleaning, painting, and transplanting into my GT.

If the press. gets too much the caps will blow?

the temp guage seems to go up, then down and back. the fan did not want to come on at first, so the guage went to 240 or higher, the light came on- engine seemed ok- not too hot.

Can you all help again? Is it bubbles still?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

You need to have someone run a "block test" on it. Many shops will do it for free and it will positively tell you is there are combustion gas in the coolant.

The thermostat jumping is likely due to it having air in the cooling system. Pull out the thermostat as you are filling it. Leave it out a few days till you are sure the air is purged.

Even if there is preasure coming into the cooling system it will not blow anything up. The cap will open at 15 PSI and push coolant into the overflow bottle.

dclink

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dclinkClick Here to visit dclink's HomePageSend a Private Message to dclinkDirect Link to This Post
Is there a good way to check for a blockage in the cooling system?
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dclink:

i don't know about a good way but i can feel the coolent flow throught the tubes under the car after it get to the rubber ones

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dclink:

If the tubes are blocked you will be able to see the crushed spot. You generally can feel the radiator and find it, but even then the flow will continue through it. It is a little harder to know about the engine. Generally is there is no engine flow it is from waterpump impellor issues.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock