Started on: 02-24-2004 09:20 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Indiana_resto_guy on 02-25-2004 08:13 PM
fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
If I were to put a fuel cell in the spare tire well, I would need to purchase an external fuel pump correct? or would the stock one work?

And let's say I hit a tree head on, dead center, will the tank rupture and spill gas everywhere or not??
Any other concerns to doing this?

------------------
---

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You would need some way to get the fuel from the auxilliary tank to the regular fuel system. The stock fuel pump is in the main tank, so you would need a separate pump to push fuel from the auxilliary tank. You'll need either a valve to switch between the two tanks, or pump fuel from the aux tank into the main tank.

JazzMan

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
I would be removing the main tank completly...
any suggestions on a fuel pump and anything else i would need?

------------------

[This message has been edited by fiero_silva (edited 02-24-2004).]

Deezlfitr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeezlfitrSend a Private Message to DeezlfitrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:

I would be removing the main tank completly...
any suggestions on a fuel pump and anything else i would need?

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you can increase the fuel capacity. However, to relocate the fuel tank/cell to the front area you may want to consider having a custom made racing type fuel cell. My main concern would be the safety factor. A significant front end collision would rupture the fuel cell, so protection of the fuel cell would be a major factor. I would look for a bladder type fuel cell that would contain the fuel in the event of a collision. In addition, you would lose the spare tire and should then consider using run-flat tires.

------------------
Deezlfitr
"Life is just a bowl of cherries... ya just gotta watch out for the pits!"

1986 GT/Auto (my first)

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:

If I were to put a fuel cell in the spare tire well, I would need to purchase an external fuel pump correct? or would the stock one work?

And let's say I hit a tree head on, dead center, will the tank rupture and spill gas everywhere or not??
Any other concerns to doing this?

At what speed?
I have one yet to repair that hit a tree dead center @40mph and the spare tire has pressure against it and is wedged in there very well.

I'm afraid that if it had been a cell that there may have been some damage to the top cover(s) and generate a possible leak.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock