87 ignition by bobtheeminent
Started on: 02-24-2004 06:53 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: bobtheeminent on 02-24-2004 09:58 PM
bobtheeminent

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobtheeminentSend a Private Message to bobtheeminentDirect Link to This Post
i have an 87 duke with distributerless ignition and i can't figure out whats wrong, i replaced the ignition module and both coil packs. I was at a stop light and while at idle, the car died. i got it started but it would only start with my foot to the floor and it would only rev up to 2000. after a while, the car reved up again and then it worked fine. what happened?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Check out this article: http://www.calgaryfieros.com/OSGdocs/code42.html

If you had a code 42 this may be the problem. I had a similar experience and the check engine light didn't come on until the second occurence. I was ready to change the ignition module until I read the article and started checking the plug wires.

On mine it turned out to be the #4 plug wire rubbing against the intake manifold. There is a sharp edge on the corner of the manifold and it had partially worn through the split wire loom that's over the plug wire at that location. There was no damage to the plug wire (silicone) but there were pin holes in the loom where the spark had arced through. I bent the plug wire guide down to increase the clearance, replaced the split loom and the problem went away.

(edit for spelling)

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 02-24-2004).]

bobtheeminent

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobtheeminentSend a Private Message to bobtheeminentDirect Link to This Post
I'll check that, thx

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock