Started on: 02-23-2004 11:20 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: theogre on 02-24-2004 06:57 PM
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
changed the rear rotors out on my GT to some stock replacements, drove it around and it sound like the rotors rub against the dust shields, that nice scraping noise. I bent the shields back a little but it still does it while turning. any idea why?

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 *RIP gold 87 2M4*
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I had same problem I had to bend it a couple times when you the lower part back it seems like the top bends out. It took me a couple times but all has been great since.
johnh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnhSend a Private Message to johnhDirect Link to This Post
i just got done with doing my rear brakes also. the first set of rotors that i got from my local parts store didn't have the correct bevel cut on the inside of the hub. the stock rotor has a 1/4 inch 45% bevel. the set i got had about an 1/8 inch bevel. i didn't notice this until i finally bolted the wheels on. i couldn't even turn the wheels they were so tight. took the rotors back and they replaced them with a different set. they didn't know why there was a difference. both sets were supposedly correct part numbers.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
well the wheels turn fine. tuned when i put them on and i can pull it out of gear and coast for a while, no resistance. gotta be something with the shields because it changed when i bent them. Can i just take them off? (how do they come off?)

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 *RIP gold 87 2M4*
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
no, no need to take them off. I had the same thing happen to me. Its tough to find, because when you take the wheel off, the rotor is loose, and doesnt rub...
what you can do, is take the wheel & rotor off, and look for the scraped clean spots on the sheild, then push them back. or, with the wheel still on, get a flathead driver, and pry the whole shield away from the rotor all around.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Actually you may have to yank the wheel...

Some rotors don't have quite enough clearance inside the "hat" area, which can make the inner edge of the rotor scrub.

This seems to be agravated some if the hubs have been changed. Some if not all after market hubs have slightly thicker mounting flange which moves the shield toward the rotor.

If you futz with pushing on the shields and they still scrub then pull the wheel and check near the hub mounting bolts. You'll see right away if it's been ribing there. That means need to sculpt the shields a bit with a hammer and maybe an dull punch or chissel. (You don't want to cut the metal, just shape it.)

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock