battery drain by busared
Started on: 02-22-2004 12:44 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Francis T on 02-26-2004 03:22 PM
busared

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busaredSend a Private Message to busaredDirect Link to This Post
i put in a brand new battery 950 ca rockford fosgate similar to the yellow top optima, i had it in a couple of days and now it's dead. there is this clicking sound that sounds like a flasher. it clicks about 4 or 5 times stops then repeats. it never stops. any ideas what could be going on? the relay/flasher is directly under the driver side dash.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
84-86 headlight motors are well known for that. It sounds like you're hearing the relays/motors click until the thermal breaker in the motors trips. The silence you hear is the time it takes for the breaker to cool off and reset itself.

I always recomend that people upgrade to the Gen 2 motors rather than waste time and moeny on the lame first gen system. Even if you rebuild the whole system... It is real common that no sooner do people get the old system working then something else breaks in it. The Gen 2 system is faster tougher and way more reliable.

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
Headlight motors definately I posted on this EXACT same problem about a week ago. Unplug the blue wire from your headlight motors until you can get them fixed/replaced. That solved my problem.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Be ez to test, like he said unplug them and see if it goes dead again If it still goes dead, let us know, there are ways to isolate a drain thats pretty ez.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
It does sound like the headlight motor, but if disconnecting that wire doesn't confirm it, simply try pulling fuses until to locate the circuit. Also listen for your fuel pump and or feul pump relay. A faulty oil pressure sensore (the one that tells the computer the engine has oil pressure and is thus running) can drain batts too. If it indecates pressure when they're isn't any (IE the engine is stopped) it will hold the fuel pump relay on.
You are hearing a clicking sound and not a loud grinding sound? The later is a bad end-of-cyle switch for a headlight. That one will kill you batt in no time. Good luck

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock