failed emissions - code 44 by 88fiero2.5se
Started on: 02-22-2004 12:10 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 84Bill on 02-23-2004 12:04 AM
88fiero2.5se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fiero2.5seSend a Private Message to 88fiero2.5seDirect Link to This Post
i just had my 88 fiero 2.5l tested for emissions and failed the idle part of the test. HC (PPM) limit 220 / reading 1055.CO(%) limit 1.20 / reading 9.23. Idle RPM 838. The cruise part of the test was passed - HC reading 98 / CO reading .01 .RPM 2430. I had been getting an intermittent check engine light for a couple of months before I parked it (got a daily driver to go back and forth to work till the fiero is fixed) and was getting a code 44. I also started getting a "bucking" while at highway speeds - like the car was not firing on all cylanders. It would come and go - usually going when the check engine light came on. I replaced the O2 sensor when the problem first started (i've always been told the check engine lights main purpose in life was to tell you the O2 sensor needed changing) but it didn't help - still got a code 44. I also got a code 35 when i pulled the codes today. I put in a new MAP sensor. Also found a broken vacuum line to the fuel canister and replaced that. The IAC has been replaced. The PCV valve works. I now get a check engine light when the engine has warmed up - sitting idling - which goes away when I drive. It comes back intermittently while on the highway. The "bucking" seems to be still there, though not as bad as it was this summer. I pulled the O2 sensor and it was coated with carbon. I am going to check the exhaust for leaks as it sounds a bit loud and I was told that this may give a lean exhaust indication. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
One other thing - I thought when the HC and CO were high it meant the engine was running rich??? If so why the lean exhaust code???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.Try here.........
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/046768.html

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
did you try changing plugs? how old is your cat?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. I see that you are from CT. There are several members here on the forum from CT. Here is a link that will help you with your engine codes https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes . You need to make sure that your engine is fully warmed up before having the test done. You also might want to replace the wires and plugs if you haven't done so recently. The reason for taking the test with everything up to temperature is to make sure that your catalytic converter is working correctly. If it isn't fully warmed up it will let more unburnt hydrocabons thru and cause it to fail the test. If you have the original catalytic converter, it also may be time to replace it. You can get a high flow model from www.rodneydickman.com or from www.fierostore.com . Good luck with your retest.

------------------

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-22-2004).]

88fiero2.5se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fiero2.5seSend a Private Message to 88fiero2.5seDirect Link to This Post
thanks for all the ideas. started to check/clean the sensors and I think i got the culprit - bad O2 sensor. I pulled it out again and saw that the inside were coming out of the slot on the side of the sensor and if i shook it it sounded like a jingle bell. Has anyone ever seen this before ??? Went out and bought a new one and the code 44 is gone. The engine idles around 1000RPM's now but seems to wander a little. Maybe some new plugs and wires - mine are about 1 1/2 years old. The exhaust is original as far as i know (third owner). The only thing i see wrong with it other than a bit of surface rust is a small hole the muffler. The car has 81,000 miles on it - should I change the cat ??? Do the high flow ones make a difference???
Well, hopefully we pass....
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88fiero2.5se:

thanks for all the ideas. started to check/clean the sensors and I think i got the culprit - bad O2 sensor. I pulled it out again and saw that the inside were coming out of the slot on the side of the sensor and if i shook it it sounded like a jingle bell. Has anyone ever seen this before ???

Yes, I have had that happen to me on several occasions and I finally went to a "good" (expensiver) place and got one, no problem since.

The small round hole in the lower part of the muffler is normal. It drains water out so the guts will not rust.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 02-23-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock