idles when cold dies when warm by Fixer Up
Started on: 02-19-2004 11:36 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Fixer Up on 02-23-2004 01:44 PM
Fixer Up

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fixer UpSend a Private Message to Fixer UpDirect Link to This Post
This is a continueing saga. The original problem was solved in //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/046763.html. A bit more history on this 87 2.8 automatic powered GT follows. As long as I owned my GT it would throw and EGR code when hot. I knew the EGR tube was leaking. After my exhaust started leaking it was time to solve a lot of small problems. The Gt has been down since October, bad weather and outside work don't mix. Okay a new exhaust sytem minus Cat, new EGR system, new wires, plugs, and different distributor. I replaced the cold start injector because it leaked and while I had the distributor out I replaced the leaking oil seal.
I verified TDC with compression and the timing mark. It hasn't been timed with a light yet but the distributor was rotated to the best cold idle. I starts like it is advanced too much reguardless of where the distributor is pointed, but it starts easy enough cold. I know the car needs to be run at at least 30 MPH to reset one of the sensors, I think the IAC. While it was idleing it tached around 1200 RPM cld, after it got warm it dropped to about a 1000. That was pretty good for a start. Then the idle would start wandering up to 12000 then back down till it finally died. after it died it would be hard to start. It will do stall in park or in gear. One further symptom is there appears to an irregular miss wheterh at iddle or under load. Not all the time just occasionally.
Anyway I tried to take it out and run "set" the sensor. Every time I came to a stop light the idle would start it's surging routine and die. With the hard start it was most annoying. I did a search in the archives and found a fuel filter as a possibility, bad or mis set IAC, leaking vacuum line, and a basd EGR. So far I am not throwing codes and the EGR holds a good vacuum. I don't think I have a vacuum leak but will check in daylight. It was dark when I finished working on the GT and took it out for a test run. The Fuel Filter gets replaced tomorrow, because I suspect it maybe the original, anyway they ar e cheap and it can't hurt. Anybody have any other ideas. When I can drive it witout stalling, she gets inspected and becomes my daily driver. Needless to say I am kind of eager for that to happen. Thanks for your help, I am getting closer to driving the GT again but not quite there.
Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1987 Trans Am

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmDirect Link to This Post
I am curious to see what fixes your problem. Mine is the same way, I tend to throw it into neutral and give it a tad bit of gas to keep it running. Anyway, keep me posted.
Fixer Up

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fixer UpSend a Private Message to Fixer UpDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I found part of my problem, the rest well maybe it was good or bad who knows. I changed out my Fuel filter Friday night. I spilt more fuel than I like underneath the car, so I wated for the next day to finish up. I did find my vacuum hose to the EGR Solenoid was not making a tight fit. The old hose had experienced to many years of heat, because when I cut it back to put a new end on it, the hose split. Next morningh I got some new vacuum hose, replaced it and the car idles fine. Last thing I did was fix the exhaust leak at the exhaust flange and the exhaust system with a cat free exhaust system purs sweet. She passed safety inspection and now on the road. Hope this information helps you out 1987 Trans Am.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock