cheapest turbo option by NY_FIERO
Started on: 02-16-2004 03:34 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 02-17-2004 09:03 PM
NY_FIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
What's the cheapes turbo option for the 2.8?

------------------
1986 gold fiero se
(paint soon thanks to TAX-MAN)

1987 4 banger
30,000 miles MINT

2001 Intrepid RT
black on black with black wheels and black windows

2004 jeep liberty
yeah, I know. its a girl car.
http://draculajones.com/gold_fiero2/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
It depends on if you make it your self or buy a kit. I figured it would be around $800-$1200 if ou buy all the parts seperatly, and fabricate some of your own stuff. On the other hand you can always buy a turbo kit with everything done for you for around $2500. so a lot of it depends on how fast and easy you want it to be, hope this helps.

------------------
Gold 86 Fiero GT
Future plans: Not to start on fire!

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
The cheapest....doing all the research/install yourself. this way you get to pick out the parts shop around, you now what you want in gains here.You could potentially pick up a used intercooler/ turbo from a yard, do some custom fabrication for the pipes & mounts n such.

You will need:

Custom crossover pipe - Crossover pipe needs an outlet to drive the turbo.
Custom down pipe - This is the outlet from the turbo to the exhaust pipe.
Oil feed and Oil Return plumbing - The oil lines going from the engine to the turbo, and back to the engine.
Coolant feed and coolant return plumbing - The coolant lines going from the engine to the turbo, and back to the engine.
Larger Flow Injectors - More fuel will be required since more air is forced into the cylinders.
Turbo Compatible MAP Sensor - The existing MAP sensor is a 1 BAR MAP which will only read engine vacuum. You will need a 2 BAR or better MAP sensor to sense boost conditions.
Custom Chip or Custom Computer - The computer needs to know how to handle the greater air flow from the turbo and the larger flow injectors.

The most expensive..... Buying a kit. Now before everyone jumps all over me here , I am not saying kits are bad! Kits are good for someone who has money but not enough time to research this kinda thing. I however, am the opposite. I have the time & no money..... So doing it myself works out the best 4 me.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
sorry, not to hijack your thread, but this may be a stupid question, what exactly is that tube for jutting out of the manifold, is it for the wastegate?

I know this isnt a manifold for the fiero. And also does it matter where that tube is located (ie. a specific distance from the turbo?)

------------------
Gold 86 Fiero GT

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wastegate, yes.

Good point Howard, I try not to make people believe things that may be far out of reach. This is also part of the reason that my build has taken so long. It has been documented along the way with all my wiring, fittings, etc, and they can search and see, its all there. While I did get lucky to get a free 'broken' welder, some people already have them, or access to them. Editing this out, kinda doesn't help, as its quoted twice below, but to try to make measures on my end. I wasn't looking for this to be a 'rule' or a guideline that you shold only plan to spend as little as I did, but rather just to see that it can be done. It is obviously a little more crude than other setups, but it DOES work.

Edit, keep in mind, mine is no where near as pretty as the 'kits' you can buy..

Right now my 2.8 is just the test mule. I have a 3400 being built right now with fiero heads and stock pistons. The compression will be very low, and I may even deck the heads a bit. As for tuning, I'm going to see how it goes. For the new engine, I will probably switch to the sy/ty computer. Oh yea, thanks for the tip on the hoses..

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 02-17-2004).]

coolsio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolsioSend a Private Message to coolsioDirect Link to This Post
what did you do for ecu tunning?

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Wastegate, yes.

I built my whole turbo kit for $650. This may seem low, but I nickel and dimed everything, while still running a proper setup. This will definately increase price as I need to buy an aftermarket muffler still, the stock one isn't cutting it. I will also upgrade from rubber connectors to fiberglass reinforced silicone ones, as well as purchase more to accomodate the intercooler. In the end, I believe I will still have achieved my goal. A complete watercooled turbo set up, with intercooler, for under $1000. This is also utilizing a knock sensor and 2bar map for tuning.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I think you're going to give people unrealistic expectations if you keep posting things like this.

Welders don't come free to everyone. Neither does tuning and PROM burning. When you start making real power, you're going to need to upgrade your fuel pump, $200, injecctors, >$200 and other items.

I do applaud your efforts.

btw, you can get silicone hose cheap from Truck shops that service the large turbo diesels.

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Wastegate, yes.

I built my whole turbo kit for $650. This may seem low, but I nickel and dimed everything, while still running a proper setup. This will definately increase price as I need to buy an aftermarket muffler still, the stock one isn't cutting it. I will also upgrade from rubber connectors to fiberglass reinforced silicone ones, as well as purchase more to accomodate the intercooler. In the end, I believe I will still have achieved my goal. A complete watercooled turbo set up, with intercooler, for under $1000. This is also utilizing a knock sensor and 2bar map for tuning.

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Golden86:

sorry, not to hijack your thread, but this may be a stupid question, what exactly is that tube for jutting out of the manifold, is it for the wastegate?

I know this isnt a manifold for the fiero. And also does it matter where that tube is located (ie. a specific distance from the turbo?)

It is probably an electronic wastegate as opposed to a vacumm one. The Turbo TA had an electronic wastegate which is contolled by the ECM.
I have to say, while I admire everyones efforts, not only does the turbo have to be matched to the engine i.e. too small and you will overspin it and usually cause a seal to go, or too large and it will have significant lag THE MOST SIGNIFICANT factor is the engine management system. You can burn a piston just as easily with a turbo system that runs lean as you can with nitrous oxide.
You should have some sort of an intercooler also, and the intercooler should be effecient and reduce incoming air temps. If it doesn't reduce the incoming air charge, you are just pumping hot air into the engine. My .02 cents.......Paul

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
ok, in my last post with the picture... well if your turbo has an internal wastgate, do you need that extra pipe comming off the manifold?

------------------
Gold 86 Fiero GT

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Golden86:

ok, in my last post with the picture... well if your turbo has an internal wastgate, do you need that extra pipe comming off the manifold?

No, but you would then have the wastegate dumping gases into the exhaust flange on the turbine outlet. The electronic units just do a better job of managing boost..........Paul

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
If you want a cheap blower, you can just re-route your A/C into the intake.
PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I was at the car show here in Pittsburgh about a week ago and I was checking out the import tuners turbo setups. They are using external wastegates for their turbos, and rather then taking the time to plumb the outlet back into the exhaust they just vent it to the ground. I though that was interesting.

It takes less effort since you only have to drill a hole in the exhaust and weld in the mounting flange. Dont have to do the pipe fabrication. I am considering such a setup in the future.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock