Blown Fuse?? by Quickster
Started on: 02-15-2004 08:37 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: daved on 02-17-2004 09:39 AM
Quickster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterClick Here to Email QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
While I was replacing my console, I took "Baby" for a spin and found that my speedo quit and so did my radio! Whutz-Up? I checked all fuses and they're OK. What am I missing??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ffindley

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ffindleySend a Private Message to ffindleyDirect Link to This Post
Is your wiring unmodified? I had a similar problem on my fiero losing half of its power accessories. It was caused by a fusible link burning out. But in my situation, the wiring was changed for the car. Not sure if a fusible link blowing would cause these symptoms in a car with unmodified wiring, but you might want to check.

------------------
-----------------
1988 Yellow Formula Fiero

Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterClick Here to Email QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
And where might this fuse be??
ffindley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ffindleySend a Private Message to ffindleyDirect Link to This Post
In addition to fuses, some circuits have fusible links. Fusible links are wires of a smaller gauge than the ones they protect. This allows them to literally burn up before enough current is generated to do damage to the items they protect. So fusible links look just like a wire. They are thicker than the wires they protect because of their insulation which allows them to burn out without starting a fire. In my car, they were bright orange and were located off of the main wiring junction box next to the battery. Again, they were big thick bright orange wires. They were replaced on my car, so I am not sure if they are the same color on stock fieros.

Any how, in my car the previous owner spliced the stereo and some other extra electronics directly to one of the fusible links. When I replaced the stereo with a more powerful model, it blew the link and I lost power to the radio, cluster, and a few other items. I must have spent an hour on the fuse box until I decided to check the battery. When I went to look at the battery, I found one of the fusible links burned in two.

The repair was simple I just had to splice in another fusible link. It cost like $1.50 at the auto parts store. However, I spent a good two hours rewiring the stereo and other items to go through the fuse box properly!

So, you are looking for some thick wires which are burnt in two on the main wiring harness near the battery. Perhaps another forum member can verify what they look like when not replaced?

I hope it is something simple like this. Good luck!

Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterClick Here to Email QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
OK...........Are fuseable links those wires that have thick black thick sections to them? If so....How do you check them?? I found Five,(5).
Quickster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuicksterClick Here to Email QuicksterSend a Private Message to QuicksterDirect Link to This Post
Oh and....are any of these connected to the tach and radio?? That's all I can find that dosen't work!!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2004 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If you have a multi meter, set it for 'continuity' , put one of the leads on each side of the link. If its good the meter will move to the top of the scale or beep. You can also use a reg test lite by grounding the clip on tester and sticking the probe end into the wire on the opposite side from battery. If its good lite will light up.
ffindley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ffindleySend a Private Message to ffindleyDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... I have been looking at the wiring diagrams and can't see how just these two items wouldn't work if it was a fusible link and your wiring is the factory set-up. Here is a link to a website that contains all the wiring diagrams: http://www.euronet.nl/users/fo_elmo/wiring.htm Specifically, l was looking at the "power distribution" and "instrument panel and console" diagrams.

This may take some more detective work. It may be that you are facing two different problems that occured at the same time.

Could you provide more details of what the situation is. For example, do all the other gauges, the heater, panel lights, ash tray lights and everything else work that are on that circuit? What type of stereo is installed and how is it wired? Has there been any modifications to the wiring? Also what "exactly" were you doing when this happened?

If you can provide this info, we may be able to help you track down the problem.

[This message has been edited by ffindley (edited 02-17-2004).]

ffindley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ffindleySend a Private Message to ffindleyDirect Link to This Post

ffindley

103 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Ok. I flubbed the link. This one should work:

http://www.euronet.nl/users/fo_elmo/wiring.htm

daved

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2004 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davedClick Here to visit daved's HomePageClick Here to Email davedSend a Private Message to davedDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the wiring diagrams, I see that the Tach gets it's power from the 10Amp "Gages" fuse. The radio has a 10Amp fuse..."Radio", but that also powers an electronic black-box that appears to provide the VSS pulses for the Tach. So I would check with a multimeter to see if you have power downstream of the Radio fuse first. Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock