What would cause this? by 85GTFiero
Started on: 02-10-2004 06:13 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: 85GTFiero on 02-11-2004 12:23 PM
85GTFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTFieroSend a Private Message to 85GTFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I've been tracking down a high idle for a while now. EGR tube was broken, so I replaced it. Still high idle. Replaced big rubber hose under plenum. Still high. Could find no vacume leaks at all.
Today, I was looking at it, and discovered that the throttle cable is not letting the throttle close all the way. If I unhook the cable, it idles right down where it should be, just perfect. Hook it up, and it idles at about 2 grand.
So! What would make the throttle cable be too short? The bracket does not seem to be bent. I pulled the bolts out of the bracket, and if I move it towards the throttle body until the throttle is closed all the way, it is almost half a bolt hole off. I think if the cable would come out about another 1/8" it would be fine. The cable is very free in the housing. Also, just feeling up under the dash at the end of the gas pedal arm, there seems to be slack there when the throttle is closed, so what is stopping it from coming out the other end? Is there an adjustment at the front end of the cable?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mikey127

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikey127Send a Private Message to mikey127Direct Link to This Post
the cable could be frayed somewhere in the cable guide?!?

just a thought.

does it seem to move easily, like with no friction on the gas pedal when you depress it??

good luck

mike

85GTFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTFieroSend a Private Message to 85GTFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it does move very freely. No snags at all. This seems really strange to me. I am stumped as to how it got this way.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
can you manually force the butterfly closed when the car is idleing to be sure it is snagged?
maybe someone messed With the set screw?
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GTFiero:

.... Also, just feeling up under the dash at the end of the gas pedal arm, there seems to be slack there when the throttle is closed, so what is stopping it from coming out the other end? ....

Look for the cable fray on the pedal end of the throttle cable. Fray here would keep the cable from going back into the sheath when you let off the gas, but not affect the slide of the cable when the pedal is depressed.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2004 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Pull the gas pedal out and bend the arm just a bit.
85GTFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTFieroSend a Private Message to 85GTFieroDirect Link to This Post
$Rich$ : Yes, when it is idleing, I can push on the linkage and make it close and it idles right down. With the cable hooked up it does not touch the stop screw. Unhooked, it shuts by itself.

RTNmsds: That was my idea also. I pulled out the big plastic piece that goes down the tunnel, and pulled the cable out. It looks fine. The last six or so inches of the cable has a sleeve crimped on it that slides into a larger sleeve of the sheath, and bottoms out. I trimmed about 3/16" off the sleeve that is crimped right onto the cable, and that gave it enough to close all the way. The cable moves very freely, with no hang up whatsoever. Only thing I can think of is over the years, dust and dirt got built up inside the outer sleeve, on the "bottom out" surface?

84Bill: I thought of this, but when I checked it, with the cable pulled tight, there was still about a half an inch of cable before it bottomed out on the pedal. It was bottoming on the sleeve.

I hated to trim the sleeve, as there has to be a reason it got like this, but I can not find anything, other than a possible build up in the outer sleeve. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Any more would be great. Even though I have it working fine now, I would still like to figure out how and why this happened!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock