Started on: 02-10-2004 01:11 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Kerry on 02-10-2004 06:20 PM
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
can i get a paper copy of the gasket i'm going to use for the whole intake setup so i can use them for when i port the set up . i tried to find some but came up short i will buy the same set i use for porting but if any one can find any thing like that i will give them a +
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I priced pre-made intake gaskets and then made my own.

It isn't hard. Any good auto supply place will sell you a roll in either lite, medium of heavy guage gas proof paper. You can then custom shape the gasket after porting.

All you need is an exacto knife and some scissors.

The roll of gasket paper cost me $9 Canadian. I did not make my own for the intake to head gasket. That I bought a good heavy one for.

Arn

Kerry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KerrySend a Private Message to KerryDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest something better than paper.

Most quality Xerox machines can copy onto clear Mylar sheets. You can get them at most Office supply stores. These clear sheets are more durable than paper. I would look for the heaviest thickness you can find. These are used as clear protective covers on business reports and presentation materials. They are also used for overhead slide presentations. Again thicker is best.

You simply make a Xerox of your actual gasket onto a sheet of white paper. Your gasket will appear dark and the openings will remain white. Then copy the white duplicate of your gasket onto the clear Mylar. What you end up with is a clear plastic sheet with the outline of the gasket in black. You can then carfully trim the port openings with a razor blade or preferably an Exacto knife. You now have a template that can be attached to your heads and alligned carefully to match your manifold bolt holes. Then tape this template firmly into position over the ports. Using Dykem or even a black/ blue permanent majic marker, you can then carefully transfer the outline of the template cut outs to the head surface.

If you do your work carfully, you will end up with an exact representation of your ports that can be used as a reasonably durable template for the heads..and then later on the intake or exaust manifolds to match port the corresponding part.

Just be sure that when you make your original xerox copy of your gasket, that it is as flat as possible and that the edges are well defined on the first white paper copy. Also double check the mylar openings with a dial calipher to insure they match the gasket openings.

Also, for any gasket longer than 11", you can find copy machines that accept legal paper up to 17" long. By fitting a narrow, long gasket diagonally in the image window, you can get about 19" of total length. For REALLY large gaskets, a blueprint shop can reproduce nearly any length, but the limitation will be the availability of long sheets of Mylar. In a pinch you can overlap and tape two sheets of finished mylar together using heavy clear packing tape, after carefully aligning the two completed images.

Some may ask why the extra step of transfering the image onto white paper instead of copying directly to the mylar? First, the image from the gasket directly to the Mylar will often be too light and difficult to see well. Adding the second step results in a dark image that provides a much darker edge to follow on the Mylar. Also, if you make a mistake, you waste only paper. The Mylar sheets are more expensive.

This method works very well as long as you take you time and are careful at each step.

BTW, if your head has dowel pins for locating the gasket, these hole locations can be transferred to the Mylar template for increased accuracy. I use a shim stock punch for making these alignment holes, but a simple paper punch could also work.

There are many variations and uses for this method to transfer irregular shapes and images onto a work surface.

If you need to make a gasket...xerox the image of the surface being sealed onto white paper. Using double sided tape, attach this image to 1/32 gasket material and then trace the outline with an Exacto. When done, remove the tape and paper and...You have just made a new gasket.

On a PC Series Canon plain paper copier you can even take 1/32 or 1/64 gasket sheets, cut them to no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 and feed them into the side loading paper port. It transfers the image directly onto the gasket material as long as the material is light colored....pretty slick.

Kerry

------------------
Bodges...?
BODGES...???
We don gat to show yu no stinkin BODGES...!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock