HELP NEWBIE by GT-O-YA
Started on: 02-08-2004 11:30 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: GT-O-YA on 02-12-2004 12:31 AM
GT-O-YA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageClick Here to Email GT-O-YASend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Well hello all, this is my first run into the Fiero world. Well on to bussiness, I recently aquired an 87 GT with the 2.8 auto. I have replaced the MAP sensor, TPS, AIC, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, pickup coil, HEI unit, wireloom, TB (Holley), ECM, EGR vavle, vaccum lines, and a few other things along the way. My problem is the car is running stupidly rich, like black smoke just pours out (not Blue). and the car has no power under 3000 rpm. If I nail it at a stop it sputters and dies. I'm extremely lost. I have no trouble codes and I just adjusted the timing but nothing. I've done all I can think of. Please Help!! Thanks to all who post inb advance.

------------------
I love seeing all those little imports running around, with everything on the outside, but nothing under the HOOD!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoClick Here to Email fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Did you replace the Oxygen Sensor?

It helps the ECM with the lean/rich fuel mixture so if it's bad that could be the problem.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageClick Here to Email GT-O-YASend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Sorry I would have added that to the list if I would have thought about it. And thanks for the invite.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i can only think of a leaking cold start injector.
or the pressure regulator is stuck.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Posibubly the 02 sensor or the IAC valve.Try pulling the codes and see what it says.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 02-09-2004).]

GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageClick Here to Email GT-O-YASend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Sorry again guys, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and read the codes (nothing). So far as I know the V6's didn't have a cold start injenctor. Just for insite, I replaced the whole ECM becasue I got a code 53 (prom failure) so I replaced the whole thing.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageClick Here to Email ElectrathonSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Just as a thought did the ECM replacemnt change anything? Was the part # exactly the same as the one that came out? Many others will fit the connection but are wrong internally. Was it the correct prom inside that ECM? It also needed to be the same part # or an updated part number.

When you said it was not throwing a code it sent up a red flag. Most runability issues will eventually cause a code.

stevegibbs

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevegibbsSend a Private Message to stevegibbsDirect Link to This Post
new prom and lots of other stuff. Yea check o2 sensor. Other stuff seems to be new.

One thing it could be is bad injectors. A bad spray pattern on the injector will cause the engine to run rich as it is not properly atomizing. If so fuel is not getting burned properly so it will run rich.

You put a new FPR on it but I would hook a guage up to it and see what the pressure is.

Hope this helps. I am a noob and wouldnt' mind a plus.

Steve

------------------

newbie extreme

IDoMy0wn Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IDoMy0wn RacingClick Here to visit IDoMy0wn Racing's HomePageClick Here to Email IDoMy0wn RacingSend a Private Message to IDoMy0wn RacingDirect Link to This Post
The cold start injector is under the throttle body, next to the distributor running into the manifold. look for the steel tube and the plug, can't miss it.

------------------
Ed

http://hometown.aol.com/idomy0wnracing

virii01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virii01Click Here to Email virii01Send a Private Message to virii01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IDoMy0wn Racing:

The cold start injector is under the throttle body, next to the distributor running into the manifold. look for the steel tube and the plug, can't miss it.

I can't think of the sensor(s) off the top of my head, but possibly one of the sensors that reads temp and tells the computer how much fuel to give the engine? Maybe they are reading cold and dumping too much fuel in.

IDoMy0wn Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IDoMy0wn RacingClick Here to visit IDoMy0wn Racing's HomePageClick Here to Email IDoMy0wn RacingSend a Private Message to IDoMy0wn RacingDirect Link to This Post
Check the vacuum line going to the fuel regulator. If there is an air leak in the vacuum line to the fuel regulator, it canít reduce the amount of fuel pressure to the injectors and it will have much fuel pressure to the injectors at less then WOT. (Wide Open Throttle)

------------------
Ed

http://hometown.aol.com/idomy0wnracing

PFF
System Bot
TA6SPD

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TA6SPDClick Here to Email TA6SPDSend a Private Message to TA6SPDDirect Link to This Post
I have seen the fuel preasure regulator start leaking though the diapham. With the car running pull the vacum line. The vacume line at the regulator show be dry. If it is wet the engine is sucking fuel though the diapham. This could cause a rich mixture.
GT-O-YA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-O-YAClick Here to visit GT-O-YA's HomePageClick Here to Email GT-O-YASend a Private Message to GT-O-YADirect Link to This Post
Well I replaced all the vaccum lines so there good. There's no fuel coming out if the vaccum line to the FPR. As for the computer I replaced it with a stock unit out of an 86 Fiero GT 2.8. Thanks again guys for the help

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock