'84 2m4 engine going..will '88 2m4 fit? by Damelectrician
Started on: 02-08-2004 10:00 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Rodrv6 on 02-10-2004 09:33 AM
Damelectrician

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamelectricianSend a Private Message to DamelectricianDirect Link to This Post
Well, my 1984 2M4 Fiero is finally in the garage and I am removing the engine and cradle to replace the engine. Should be quite a project, I've never pulled an engine before!

Anyway...I may have a 1988 2M4 engine I can get a hold of for a good price. Does anyone know if it will change out directly or would it require any mods?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post
it would fit, but the wiring is differant. the '84 engine has a dist. whereas the 88 engine is a DIS engine. You'd need the entire wiring harness from the 88 for it to work.

------------------
"As we live on, we lose a little bit more. Shrouded in falsehoods and lies, we stand frozen to the spot, unable to cry out" - Deep Forest

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
You'd also need the 88 computer since the throttle body injection is different from the 84. It would be far, far easier to swap in a non DIS iron duke out of an 86 or older. They will drop right in with no changes.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

Damelectrician

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamelectricianSend a Private Message to DamelectricianDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Guys.....I guess I won't be buying that 1988 engine afterall. If anyone is interested, the same engine has been listed twice on EBay in the last few weeks..one ended Jan 13 and again on Feb 3....seller was "surplusautoparts". Last go around had Min bid of $249 and noone ever bid on it. I'll bet one could still get it if he contacted the seller.

Thanks again,

Bill

DanielKJenkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielKJenkinsSend a Private Message to DanielKJenkinsDirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of removing an 86 duke. The man that is helping me with the cradle removal will be using the engine in an 84.

Is this a drop in replacement?

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Yes, that would be a drop in motor. All the 84-86 4 cylinders use the same basic motor. The 87's and 88's had DIS and different fuel injection and the later 87's and 88's had the balance shaft engine with the oil filter in the oil pan.
One advantage of the 86 motor is that it may have roller lifters.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock