Started on: 02-07-2004 05:09 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 02-08-2004 11:11 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2004 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
This is a project I did last weekend that was so fast I didn't make good pictures. It started when I was picking up some cloth for a little upholstry job my wife had me working on. Anyway I found some cloth that appeared to be a dead match for the dark grey speaker covers. For $2.00 a yard I figured it was worth a try.

When I got home I carefully pryed the covers out of the dash. Some people use a screwdriver or butter knife. Both are good but "gentle" is the word. Then I peeled the cloth off of the plastic grill. They were glued on originally but after 18 years they come off with just a little coaxing. The inside of the cloth reveals the original color. Big difference. Someone on PFF did this a while back and after washing, flipped the cloth and swapped sides (in order fo it to fit) but mine was too dirty.

Here is mine already recovered with the old faded cloth showing the difference.

Here is mine again with the old cloth flipped to show how close the new cloth I bought matches.

Finally, here are my newly recovered speaker grills (disregard the water spot on the right one, it went away when dry).

Oh yeah, I used a light touch of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive around the edges to hold it on. (Gotta get rid of that stuff, you'll understand if you remember my headliner thread) Start to finish, the whole project took less than a half hour.

Here is what the look like installed.

Yes I know they could fade. But with a yard, I feel like I can do this every year for the next 10 before I run out.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 02-08-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Probably not as exciting as cup holders
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Nice
nitro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroClick Here to visit nitro's HomePageSend a Private Message to nitroDirect Link to This Post
When I recovered mine i had tried to make sure they were pulled around the corners tight so that they would look good and was initally impressed with the way they came out. That is, until I turned up the volume and noticed that on a few songs my 4x10s manage to inflate them slightly like a small dome on every hard bass beat.

It looks cool sometimes, especially when a friend jumps in for the first time and it starts doing it with me noticing. Gets a few comments. I just thought that it would pulled tigheter with how much time I spent trying to prevent this very problem.

------------------
- Kyle

Fiero Quarter Mile Database
Fiero Image Gallery

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
FYI, Rodney sells speaker cloth that is an EXACT match to the factory colors.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Please don't take me wrong, I wasn't trying to compete with Rodney. His quality is great and he is too nice a guy to take anything away from. Sometimes I just like to try things for myself. BTW, I think Rodney himself says "almost" not exact.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock