Started on: 02-05-2004 09:31 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Jeremiah on 02-06-2004 09:55 AM
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering what kind of paint someone should use to paint the interior of the car. I was thinking about painting the pillars and the plastic that runs across the headliner and roof a different color. I've seen other people try this but the paint seems to end up chipping.

Any suggestions?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Krylon sells a paint called Fusion, if I remember correctly. It is made for painting plastic parts.
KlingonFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Warning: Fusion Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do a search, you will find a few threads (including one by me) that says how this doesn't work like it is supposed to.

I have had good luck with a Vinyl paint. It is an epoxy based spray paint. It worked very well.

I have also heard that people have had luck with vinyl dye's, maybe a product that goes by the brand name of "Mar-Hyde".

I am sure some people will will pop on here to give some more info

Here are a couple of previous Threads:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045182.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045166.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031462.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/037378.html

[This message has been edited by KlingonFiero (edited 02-05-2004).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I use SEM paints. They are intended for vinyl/plastic, can be matched to the perfect color, and even kinda eat their way into the plastic, so they don't peel/flake off

Just a little test. Take a plastic drinking cup, pour SEM paint in it, and let it set. Within a few minutes the paint will eat through the cup and dump all over your table. (Had it happen to me). I guess the cool part is that when you spray it on the interior parts, it probably etches itself into the plastic as it dries, so it doesnt peel, chip, wear off. I used it on my interior a few years ago and it still looks great. Just remember to use the clear over it.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I use SEM paints. They are intended for vinyl/plastic, can be matched to the perfect color, and even kinda eat their way into the plastic, so they don't peel/flake off

Just a little test. Take a plastic drinking cup, pour SEM paint in it, and let it set. Within a few minutes the paint will eat through the cup and dump all over your table. (Had it happen to me). I guess the cool part is that when you spray it on the interior parts, it probably etches itself into the plastic as it dries, so it doesnt peel, chip, wear off. I used it on my interior a few years ago and it still looks great. Just remember to use the clear over it.

I've heard this from a number of other people... it's definitely the way I'd suggest going as well (I'll hopefully be doing this something this spring).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have found out that regular exterior auto paint works better than the paint designed for interior trim. I have had the interior trim paint come off in sheets with almost no bite into the plastic, where the exterior will be on for good. The good news is that Fiero trim is easly to come by. I would suggest buying an extra set and experiment.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I have found out that regular exterior auto paint works better than the paint designed for interior trim.

Thats what I am planning to do. A bit of sanding, primer, paint and a clear. I have already done some pieces I'll try to up a picture.

Edit: found one

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 02-05-2004).]

cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I've used SEM products myself. The paint goes on so perfectly, it doesn't even look like it has been painted, even the sheen was factory looking. Also keeps the factory texture. Works well on the hard plastic and the console vinyl. I highly recommend SEM. Also, it is available in spray cans. Just remember to prep.

Chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
I'm in the process right now. Guy at the auto store gave me this special flexible paint, and primer. So i'm priming, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding....soon to be painting
C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
DUPLICOLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if it doesnt work i will give you the money to buy different paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i swear by the stuff!!!
also, you dont really need to sand it much just a light scuffing, then take Isopropyl alcohol and clean the parts.
I dont know what else you could use because i only used the alky.
what i did was used was interior trim paint as a primer then i used a metalic as the top color, if i ever figure out how to use this PIP CrAp

good luck

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111
Year: 1987
Make/Model: Fiero GT
Color: Primer grey and burgundy
Transmission: 5spd Manual
AC PL PW PM sunroof defrost

[This message has been edited by C DuBBz87GT (edited 02-06-2004).]

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cjgable:

I've used SEM products myself. The paint goes on so perfectly, it doesn't even look like it has been painted, even the sheen was factory looking. Also keeps the factory texture. Works well on the hard plastic and the console vinyl. I highly recommend SEM. Also, it is available in spray cans. Just remember to prep.

Chris

What do you recommend I do to prep? Doesn't sound like you would use a primer with this SEM product.

Also, where do you find it? Autozone?

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock