Starting probs now lagging! by Trampboy
Started on: 02-04-2004 10:51 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: PK on 02-05-2004 04:33 AM
Trampboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrampboyClick Here to visit Trampboy's HomePageSend a Private Message to TrampboyDirect Link to This Post
Hi from the UK,

The other morning my 87GT failed to start. It was turning over fine but no sparking. I sprayed everything with WD-40 and it started fine. However, I noticed on the way to work this morning there was a slight lag when pressing the gas pedal in second gear.

Are these two related? I will check the ECM codes tonight to see if anything has been flagged.

Do you think it might be the ignition module ?? Or O2 sensor ?? Or something else.

Thanks in advance,

TB

Oh, anyone know why the ACDELCO UK website is no longer available?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Trampboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrampboyClick Here to visit Trampboy's HomePageSend a Private Message to TrampboyDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to say .. seems to idle fine just lags when pressing gas pedal.

PLEASE HELP! :-)

TB

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You could have a bad engine ground that is affecting your TPS signal or a bad TPS (throttle position sensor).
Trampboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrampboyClick Here to visit Trampboy's HomePageSend a Private Message to TrampboyDirect Link to This Post
Whats the best way of testing the engine ground?

TB

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You need a digital multimeter set to check for continuity. It never hurts to add some extra grounds. Our cars have bad electrical connections after twenty years of use and corrosion. The better the signal we can get to the ECM, the better the car will run, Having good grounds or even extra ones helps to accomplish this. You might also want to make sure that your timing is set correctly.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-04-2004).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I had a similar problem, but the car started fine. Mine was caused by two spark plug wires going bad.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
Come on Trampboy sort it out!

Start with the simple stuff:

Take a plug or two off and have a look. What condition are they in?

Do a quick paper clip trick on the ALDL for any clues.

Like avengador1 mentioned, attach a (temporary) ground (wouldn't bother removing the old one to start with), can get a new cable from Halfords (when you go in to get those exhaust clamps!!! ). Paul T made a post about an easy ground cable position not long ago with a piccy...might be worth giving him a shout. Take the car for a spin and see if things are improved.

After this I'd go for leads and things, although I don't think this would explain your non-starting episode.

Are you visiting at the weekend? Hopefully the Landy will be done(ish) and RUNNING by Saturday , so should have time to fix yer Rodney D tips.

As for O.C.W (who sell AC Delco parts here in the UK), well perhaps it is linked to their appauling lack of respect for their customers, inconsistency, rudeness and general incompetence (thats been my experience anyway). I hope that someone competent takes their place and continues to sell AC Delco parts without the O.C.W. attitude. If you need parts let me know as I'm gonna place a US order soon.

Cheers
PK

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock