Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Spring cutting (Our horses are like...WHAT? FOOD?)as in hay,Duh... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Spring cutting (Our horses are like...WHAT? FOOD?)as in hay,Duh... by windsweptfiero
Started on: 02-04-2004 01:51 AM
Replies: 69
Last post by: Fierotech on 02-12-2004 09:03 PM
windsweptfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
I want to cut my springs so I would like to get some input.What can I say Im new....

How much should I cut and why?

Why do you cut more from the front than the rear?

So what are your thoughts? And go......

------------------
GOD,Family and Cars...And in that order...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
peabody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peabodySend a Private Message to peabodyDirect Link to This Post
Cutting one complete "round" from each spring will lower your Fiero and if lower looks cool to you that would be the "why". However, it spoils the ride and the suspension will "bottom out" on just about every bump. If you're going for looks alone at the cheapest cost, this is a common method.
A better plan is buying a pair of dropped spindles that leave the springs alone and lets you keep the ride and a pair of coil-overs to replace the rear struts that gives you some flexability on ride and height.
This has been hashed over many times, search this site again.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I cut my front springs only, by one turn. I am very happy with the cornering as well as the looks. (My car is an 88, btw. I can't speak to how it works on earlier cars, because I don't own one.)
Be prepared for a lot of "lively" discussion on this one. There are a few people who don't like the idea of cutting springs.
As peabody said, a search will bring up several threads.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
I cut one coil off the front and 1/2 coil off the rear, car is an '86 with a 4.9L Caddy motor in it. Of course I put poly suspension all around and new ball joints, and tie rod ends, rebuilt the suspension totally. I think it rides great, no squeaks or bottoming out of any kind...

Here are pics.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036727.html

Dragon1/Brian

TNJ84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TNJ84seSend a Private Message to TNJ84seDirect Link to This Post
Look great Dragon1...... I will be cutting 1 coil front and .5 rear..... cool

------------------
84se (project) $FREE
99z28 lots of goodies 12.86@106
03 PtCruiser lots of goodies
67 El Camino 327, glide, air
78 corvette, six speed many mods (sold):(
78 corvette, silver ann. (sold):(
72 corvette, Lt-1 clone (sold):(
87 corvette, show car (sold):(
69z28 "BRUTUS" (sold):(
Yea it sickens me too!!!!
I see a Z06 in my future.......

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
I used a 4" angle grinder as a chop saw. Wrap a cold wet rag around the spring coil on the side of the cut you will be keeping. Make sure not to get the spring hot or you may ruin it.

Make sure you wear safty glasses, grinding sparks in your eyes don't feel good...

Dragon1/Brian

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragon1:

I cut one coil off the front and 1/2 coil off the rear . . .

Ditto. I did the same for my '85 SE. The ride IS stiffer. (Im OK with that.)

I used an abrasive disk in a pneumatic die grinder. You can do it with an abrasive disk in a Dremel, but it's s..l..o..o..o..w and you'll probably break a lot of disks. (I did.)

windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
So,why 1/2 on the rear when you cut 1 on the front?....Dont you want the whole car to lower the same or do they act differently when cut?Front to rear...

------------------

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
The front springs are wound tighter than the rear springs so 1 coil on the front spring is equal to 1/2 coil on the rear.

Dragon1/Brian

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
One thing to be aware of is that if you cut a great deal from the rear springs they may come out of the hats, at the top, when you jack up the car. Make sure they seat correctly when you lower the car back down. I didn't cut my back springs so I haven't actually seen this, but have heard several people mention it. Someone suggested fastening the spring to the hat with a zip tie.
This may be a non-issue, just wanted to call it to your attention so it doesn't come as a surprise.
Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
I didn't have that problem with only cutting 1/2 coil, mine were GT springs that I used to replace the stock notchback springs.

Dragon1/Brian

PFF
System Bot
windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of your help....And thanks for not beating on me for asking an old question....

I did do a search on this topic but FRESH INFO is much better.

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

One thing to be aware of is that if you cut a great deal from the rear springs they may come out of the hats, at the top, when you jack up the car. Make sure they seat correctly when you lower the car back down.

This is true with drop springs as well. They are physically shorter than the stock springs so you have to be careful.

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by windsweptfiero:

So,why 1/2 on the rear when you cut 1 on the front?

I wanted a little forward rake. It's good for aerodynamics, and I don't like the tail-dragger look.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
I just cant understand WHY anyone would want to go through the trouble of taking apart the suspension, only to put cut springs in. It just doesnt make sence!

Race car builders dont do this. I know this is a touchy subject here but, come on! It's ghetto. If you dont have the money, save for a few weeks. You'll be happy you did. You can never predict the way it will turn out.

------------------
-Chris
86 GT
95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intake, Cam, Isuzu 5 speed, Short Shifter, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, Polly mounts, Full Polly Suspension, Intrax 2" drop springs, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires, Racing Seats, Grant carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber Dash and Shiter.

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
Damn. I was just about to comment how nice and civil this discussion was so far.

Oh well...knew it couldn't last.

BTW, Chris...is it any more "ghetto" than having a carbon fiber shiter in your car? Come on...if you're gonna carry a toilet with ya, at least make it a classy porcelain one....

Jeremy
certified ghetto cut spring fabrication technician

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay. I de-Ghetto-fied my shiter and cut springs are still Ghetto.

Can anyone really give a good reason for cutting springs? Why would anyone advise this?
Remember what your mom said? If your gonna do it, do it rite.

What happens when you cut them and one corner is lower than the others ortoo low or not low enouph. Then you have to buy
the springs anyway. We have all laughed at the ricer bouncing around in front of us on the highway. Do you want to be that guy?

------------------
-Chris
86 GT
95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intake, Cam, Isuzu 5 speed, Short Shifter, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, Polly mounts, Full Polly Suspension, Intrax 2" drop springs, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires, Racing Seats, Grant carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber Dash and shift knob.

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

Okay. I de-Ghetto-fied my shiter and cut springs are still Ghetto.

"in my opinion."

Can anyone really give a good reason for cutting springs? Why would anyone advise this?
Remember what your mom said? If your gonna do it, do it rite.

1) Do I need to give you a good reason? You think it's "ghetto", you don't want to do it; why would I even consider trying to talk you into it? For that matter, I never really said that I thought it was "the way" or a spectacularly wonderful thing to do. If you want my opinions, thoughts, and views on them, I'll give them, if someone really wants them.

The original poster said he wanted to cut his springs, and asked some very specific questions about doing so. "Should I do it" or "what are some good reasons to cut my springs" wasn't one of them. Fortunately for him, this thread began with some people giving simple answers to his simple questions, much to my suprise.

2) Why would anyone advise ANYTHING? Surely someone will come along and question it, tell them it's stupid, or the wrong way. Plus...to my knowledge, there was no such advise TO do it in this thread; just some real-world experience that the thread-starter was looking for.

3) I can't recall my mom EVER telling me to do something "rite". Right, maybe. Correctly, possibly. But not "rite".

What happens when you cut them and one corner is lower than the others ortoo low or not low enouph. Then you have to buy
the springs anyway. We have all laughed at the ricer bouncing around in front of us on the highway. Do you want to be that guy?

Well, if you really are looking for an answer to this question, I would say it would be this: What happens? Either you cut more, cut the other side more, or spring for the $25-$50 that'll likely buy you another set of stock springs to start "hacking" on. Or, maybe you just decide that, since you're just an untalented ghetto-looser anyway, who can't even keep his car from bouncing around, that you'd be better off to just part out your car and forget about it. Or, you could just buy the cheapest lowering springs made for your car from a company like Intrax, and live the high life.

Yes, I *do* have something against Intrax. Had a Prelude with some ghetto-fied cut springs. Realized the errors of my way, and bought some Intrax springs for it, so I could drag myself out of the gutter. 25,000 miles later, my "high dollar aftermarket lowering springs" had sagged enough that I BECAME that ricer bouncing around on the highway...and I, sir, did NOT want to be THAT guy...so what's a guy to do?

Re-install some stock cut springs, and live happily ever after. Well, maybe not EVER after, but at least for the next ~40K miles, then I sold it. (true story...I promise.)

Hope they've improved.

Windswept, hope this thread has been informative, as well as entertaining. Welcome to the forum, and happy Fiero-ing!

Take care all---
Jeremy

[This message has been edited by Fierotech (edited 02-05-2004).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'll just add one more thing to what has been said here. (And maybe re-emphasize another post.)
If you cut your springs, do not use a torch! You'll take the temper out of the metal, and the springs will collapse in very short order. (That might be where the "uneven corners" came from, that our friend mentioned.)
Use a high speed cutoff wheel or die grinder.
Even better if you use a cold wet towel to grab the spring, just below where you're cutting. It'll stop the heat from traveling down the wire.

As for "Ghetto"?
There are some highly respected members, here, who are running on cut springs. Including racers and senior automotive engineers. (Carroll Shelby was so impressed with his ride in one of those "ghetto-fied" Fieros -which also happens to have a Lingenfelter V-8 in it- that he autographed the dash. A pretty glowing endorsement for a "ghetto ride". )

Party on, Garth.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Is this the same asshat that thought backpressure was good for turbo? Working on the cup holders of a dodge omni doesn't make one a "senior automotive engineer."

Justify it all you want, cutting springs is still ghetto. The guy asking the question doesn't even mention what year or spring codes his car has!

I can't speak on the quality of the Intrax, but I can for the eibachs as I have 2 sets and they are great. I do think there are only two real spring manufacturers out there, eibach and hypercoil.

Originally posted by Raydar:

As for "Ghetto"?
There are some highly respected members, here, who are running on cut springs. Including racers and senior automotive engineers. (Carroll Shelby was so impressed with his ride in one of those "ghetto-fied" Fieros -which also happens to have a Lingenfelter V-8 in it- that he autographed the dash. A pretty glowing endorsement for a "ghetto ride". )

Party on, Garth.

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 02-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
I thank all of you for your input...Thats all I was looking for...No matter what,it seems someone will jump in just to stir things up.....Thats not what I am looking for in a forum but oh well...It takes all kinds....On another thread I started,I tried to warn everyone about a guy that tried to rip me off on ebay.I got a great response but I also got a PM from a guy trying to nail me over my faith in GOD...Whats up with that? Stay true to the topic...please...
As for my question about my springs,I just put a bunch of cash into this car,wheels,tires,huge sound system,new interior with new seats and carpet and now a paint job.I want it a little lower but why not try and do it by cutting the springs first and then save for new parts after its on the road....If I goof things up well I guess I will have to make things right first.Nothing to loose for now as I plan to replace the springs in the future....
Thanks all

------------------

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotech:

Well, if you really are looking for an answer to this question, I would say it would be this: What happens? Either you cut more, cut the other side more, or spring for the $25-$50 that'll likely buy you another set of stock springs to start "hacking" on. Or, maybe you just decide that, since you're just an untalented ghetto-looser anyway, who can't even keep his car from bouncing around, that you'd be better off to just part out your car and forget about it. Or, you could just buy the cheapest lowering springs made for your car from a company like Intrax, and live the high life.

Yes, I *do* have something against Intrax. Had a Prelude with some ghetto-fied cut springs. Realized the errors of my way, and bought some Intrax springs for it, so I could drag myself out of the gutter. 25,000 miles later, my "high dollar aftermarket lowering springs" had sagged enough that I BECAME that ricer bouncing around on the highway...and I, sir, did NOT want to be THAT guy...so what's a guy to do?

Re-install some stock cut springs, and live happily ever after. Well, maybe not EVER after, but at least for the next ~40K miles, then I sold it. (true story...I promise.)

Hope they've improved.

Windswept, hope this thread has been informative, as well as entertaining. Welcome to the forum, and happy Fiero-ing!

Take care all---
Jeremy

I am amazed at how stupid this responce is. First you say buy the "cheapest springs made" then, refer to the as "high dollar aftermarket lowering springs".

Anyhow, cheap? no. The lowest drop you can get from a major company, yes. I have used Intrax on all of my cars eccept one, including my 400hp mustang. On the mustang I thought on of the back springs was sagging. So, I called intrax and they sent me two new ones with no questions asked. When I went to replace them it turned out the rubber bushing on top of the spring had rotted out. I have had nothing but good experience with them and would recomend them to anyone looking for the lowest drop possible with out being ghetto.

Howard and I are only trying to help someone make the rite dessision. Cutting springs is ghetto and I am sure carrol shelby would never do it, and I am sure what impressed him about the members car was the lingenfelter V8 sitting in the back of a 2500 lbs fiero. Not the springs.

And you say all this guy would have to do is re cut, or buy more stock springs and hack them if it dosnt work out correctly the first time. This is not an easy job. What stupid advice.

Spend the money and get the brand the works for your application! Dont be ghetto!

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Black-Azz-GT

2326 posts
Member since Oct 2003
windsweptfiero _

I understand where your comming from about the money. All I am saying is beware. This is a BIG, knuckle scraping job, and you wont want to do it twice. I promise. $250 is not alot of money when you think about it. Cutting springs is not a good Idea. It can be damaging and dangerous and cost more money in the long run.

As for Raydar - he seems to be a respectable member. With 9436 post and the rating he has, I beleive he is a knowledgable guy, however I just beleive this is BAD advice.

I am giving what I beleive to be good advice, not stiring thigs up. Good luck.

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post

I just cant understand WHY anyone would want to go through the trouble of taking apart the suspension, only to put cut springs in

Some of us actually enjoy meddling with our cars! Also, I don't mind expending a little time and effort to make something that I want, to my preferences, rather than accepting an off-the-shelf commercial product that isn't what I want. If I save money and gain knowledge in the process, so much the better.

. . . come on! It's ghetto.

Don't be an insulting jerk. You're welcome to your opinion, but keep it civil.

If you dont have the money, save for a few weeks.

Easy for you to say. If I don't have the money now, what makes you think I'll have it in a few weeks? My daddy doesn't give me an allowance any more.

You can never predict the way it will turn out.

Bull. That's what spring rate equations are for . . . not that I ever used them.

Trust me: this ain't rocket science. It doesn't take a PhD or a micrometer; just cut the spring within about half an inch of the right place, and keep the spring cool. Done carefully, in moderation, it works fine.

How many times have you cut springs? Are you speaking from experience or prejudice?

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
I have helped couple people take apart there cars when THEY cut there springs. (not with torches either)

The end result was a bouncy car that, to me, was ghetto, witch makes me prejudice to this.

I just cant beleive that people that seem to be knowledgable enthusiest like your self and some others here, would recomend this.
I, and I consider myself knowledgeable, would only recomend this for a car with no aftermarket.

This person is dropping money into his car, so why would you tell him this is a good Idea? If some one is spending this kinda money, the rite advice is to
buy the product that was meant to do this safely and acurately.

BTW - I wish I did get an allowance from my daddy. Dont know if that was directed at me as if I did.

Argue all you want but, anyone outside of this forum who is knowledgeable would not recomend this and probably discribe it worse than getto.

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
Dude...if I really have to sit down and explain sarcasm to you, it's really, really not worth it.

Actually, none of this is worth it. I'm so sick of this attitude around here...it explains why I've been a member since 2001, and only have ~180 posts...it's just not worth giving input for the most part. And, I'm a big unknown nobody around here...the few people who do know me, though, just may know I MIGHT have a touch of experience to share or something to contribute...I just don't bother, until I get my hopes up that something's changed and figure I may give the forum a chance again. Why is it, in EVERY other thread, someone has call someone's responses stupid, or someone an a$$hat, or whatever? Give information, try to make it correct, true, and accurate...give opinions when they're asked for, discuss things intelligently, share experiences, talk about ideas and concepts...THAT is what I, stupidly, believe should be the point of a forum like this one.

IF he had asked if cutting springs was a good idea, or if he should do it, I'm sure he would have gotten (mixed in with the usual BS) plenty of pros and cons for both cutting and lowering springs, and could try to make a decision based on that.

Would my suggestion have been for him to cut springs? Maybe, depends on him, the car, the year, the spring rate he has, what he wants out of it, what he expects out of it, etc...

Idealy, would I EVER advocate lowering springs OR cut springs? Not really...I'd MUCH rather see the suspension redesigned...but that isn't always exactly an option, is it?

Chris...go re-read my first response. I'm playing around, trying to add some levity, instead of just jumping on you and giving the usual "jeez, dude, he didn't ASK for advice, shut the heck up, (insert your favorite childish name-calling word or phrase here)." I'm commenting on the fact that the thread actually was nice and informative, and actually answered the questions asked....and I'm commenting on the fact that you "not understanding WHY" blah blah blah is neither helpful, nor informative. I'm proud of you for trying to "save" him from himself...but he seems like the type that can find salvation on his own.

I'm done here, I believe. Would just change my name to "lurker", but it's taken...

Windswept, sorry. Hope everything works out for you, and you don't destroy your car with any further ghetto mods.

Take care all...

Jeremy B.
Fierotech@toast.net, if anyone wants to b!tch, whine, yell, or complain at me; it doesn't need to be here.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Again, just lending my advice to anyone thinking of cutting springs. May not have been the most helpful, but informative, maybe.

Oh well. Every one one on this post seems to be knowledgeable so, no hard feelings. I'm done too.

Good luck windswept.

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Black-Azz:

OK, my apologies for going-off on a rant.

Our experiences and our opinions differ. No problem; we can agree to disagree. However, please don't take the position that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I said I was done here. I lied.

Chris, thank you. I appreciate you actually taking the time to read and think about all of this, and being adult about it. Pleasant suprise...

MrPBody---one word...AMEN.

Take care all---
Jeremy B.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

Is this the same asshat that thought backpressure was good for turbo? Working on the cup holders of a dodge omni doesn't make one a "senior automotive engineer."

After that comment you deserve this one, a little clearer picture for you this time!

PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2004 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
You're good with the pictures but what about the contributions? Asshat.

The cutting springs is classic. Ranks right up with your turbine theory and phantom hopes.

Originally posted by California Kid:

After that comment you deserve this one, a little clearer picture for you this time!

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
MrPBody---

Originally posted by MrPBody:

Our experiences and our opinions differ. No problem; we can agree to disagree. However, please don't take the position that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

With your permission, I would like to use that in something I've never had before...a signature...
I think it's more important for people to be reminded of that simple fact, than it is to see my car, my website, or my credentials...
Let me know if it's OK with you...

Jeremy B.

TNJ84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TNJ84seSend a Private Message to TNJ84seDirect Link to This Post
I'm cutting my springs....

Why? ..............because I want to

Trust me, snipping a round out of the coil will not make the car ride bad........TRUST ME

Ive cut springs before and its no big deal unless you get carried away and cut to much off

Ive bought "performance" springs that didnt ride that great either.........its not a caddy

and besides ............WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
84se (project) $FREE
99z28 lots of goodies 12.86@106
03 PtCruiser lots of goodies
67 El Camino 327, glide, air
78 corvette, six speed many mods (sold):(
78 corvette, silver ann. (sold):(
72 corvette, Lt-1 clone (sold):(
87 corvette, show car (sold):(
69z28 "BRUTUS" (sold):(
Yea it sickens me too!!!!
I see a Z06 in my future.......

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
I used front WS6 springs from my 84 se cut down by one coil and rear WS6 springs from the 85gt cut by 1/2 coil and with the sway bar from the 84se mounted on the rear of my 85GT. The softer front springs helped with the front end wanting to push in the corners. It handles better than I expected. Others that have driven it agree. I get no push and I have never felt a tighter handling car. This is how a sports car is suposed to handle. Like its on rails!!!

PS I sent $6.00 on the cut off wheels for my saw and $14.95 for the rear sway bar end links. The best bang for my buck I would say.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Cutting springs is ghetto and I am sure carrol shelby would never do it, and I am sure what impressed him about the members car was the lingenfelter V8 sitting in the back of a 2500 lbs fiero. Not the springs.

Never make assumptions.......Carrol Shelby would and did anything to make a car corner better. He was successful because he thought outside the box, he just did it better than the other guy. Sure the engine impressed him, but he wanted a ride, what impressed him even more was the handling of the complete car.

windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
DANG,Keep it cool baby....

Later peeps

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

What happens when you cut them and one corner is lower than the others ortoo low or not low enouph. We have all laughed at the ricer bouncing around in front of us on the highway. Do you want to be that guy?

If you cut your springs, and one side ends up lower than the rest, your an IDIOT! The only way to do that is to cut too much off one. I dont know why the car will bounce with cut springs either. Mine rides nice and stiff. What are you going to do when one of your lowering springs collapses? I've seen that happen a lot with aftermarket lowering springs.

Anyway, cutting your springs works great! I cut 2 coils off all the way around my car. I love the look, and the ride. Quality is just as good as lowering springs. The only thing I'm changing is the rears. I'm getting coil overs. Heres a pic so you can see how low it is.

------------------
James Essar
88 Coupe 3.2L V6
60* V6 Power Baby!

windsweptfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for windsweptfieroSend a Private Message to windsweptfieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay..Im going to do it...I want my car lower and I don't have anything to loose.If I mess it up,well I would buy new springs anyway.So heres the scoop.

I have an 85 SE fixed up to look like a GT.

A new set of wheels and tires.......Fronts are 215-55-ZR16 rears are 225-55-ZR16 on a set of 16x7 Konigs

I like the rake and want to lower at the same rake but it sits about 2 inches to high all the way around.

SO,one coil front and 1/2 coil in the rear? OR 1 front/1 rear OR 2 front/2 rear? I want to lower it about 2 inches all

the way aound.

Your thoughts,and go....

------------------

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
With those wheels and tires I wouldn't go anymore than 1 1/2 in drop all around. You need to talk to some one who has done a pre '88 and is very happy with the results, and get the details of everything they did.

This is a 1 1/2 in. drop front and rear with 215x50x16 frt and 245x50x16 rear:

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 02-06-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock