Shift cable question by Avery Montembeault
Started on: 02-03-2004 01:06 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: iluvmacs on 02-06-2004 12:03 PM
Avery Montembeault

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.5L with izuzu tranny. My question is, the plastic "cup" like end of my shift cable is badly worn to the point it pops off of the "ball" end of my gear selector on my transmission. Can I replace this simple plastic piece, or do I need to replace the whole cable? or is there another quick and easy fix? Who sells the best/cheapest cables?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
bump
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
have to go pick up the dog from the vet (had his nuts cut)
i'll post my getto fix when i get home.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

I’m not sure if this will help your problem but I’ll tell you my story.
(Please everyone reading this… don’t give me a “-“. I normally don’t do things this way, it was suppose to be a temporary fix, but it has lasted about 5 months now.)
this is on a 4 spd

Look at these first two so you can figure out how I have the camera angled.

my problem was with the cable that moves from 1/2 and 3/4.

the hard plastic tube that I have colored yellow was broken away from the main part of the outer housing.

which allowed the inner cable to flex enough for the socket I’ve colored in green to pop off the ball.

I used 3 zip ties to hold the yellow tube in place and it has a slight upward pressure from the zip tie wrapping around the bracket.

I haven’t had anymore problems.

If that doesn’t work I also have a sure fire way of it staying on. But it takes a lot more work and I will have to make another one to show you what it looks like.
So try this first. And if it doesn’t work I’ll build another “holder” in the next week or so for you.

Good luck

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that might work, but you don't want to find out when you're driving down the road and you end up losing half your gears.

I had the same problem, but I took epoxy and covered the ball and socket completely. Honestly, the socket doesn't need to spin on the ball that much, so "immobilizing" it isn't a big deal IMO.

I haven't been able to drive it since the epoxy has hardened for, well, months, but it didn't pop off when I was testing it.

Another option might be to drill through the socket, and use a nut/bolt to sandwich the socket, and still connect it to the shift linkage. It would look like this:

[]----[]|[] the left is the bolt head, then the shift cable is sandwiched by two nuts (no pun intended).

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iluvmacs:

Yeah, that might work, but you don't want to find out when you're driving down the road and you end up losing half your gears.

It has worked for 5 or 6 months, and I alternate cars about everyday so it’s kinda a daily driver

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. I'll put a ziptie on mine just incase the epoxy doesn't hold. Wish there was a simple yet permanent solution, besides buying new cables.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock