EGR tube by SaskatoonFiero
Started on: 01-27-2004 07:45 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Weponhead on 01-28-2004 11:05 AM
SaskatoonFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaskatoonFieroSend a Private Message to SaskatoonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Were do I look to see if the EGR tube is cracked?

Thanks,
SaskatoonFiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
look at the EGR tube silly

you could try : when the engine is cold or slightly warm place your hand arround the tube and see if the idle changes, or when up to operating temp,spray it down with carb cleaner and listen for a drop in RPM's,
ive noticed that the tubes seem to crack along the flange that bolts to the under side ogf the plennum

------------------

Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My original one cracked half way up, in the 'accordian' portion. I highly recommend Fiero Stores stainless braided one. It will outlast the car.
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Most of the time the tube will break right at the fitting that connects to the upper plenum. It's hard to see.

With a cold engine take hold of the EGR tube and see if it moves while moving it. there should be
no movement at all.....if it moves even a "smig" it's cracked or broken.

This is a big problem with the V6's you'll see a ton of them broken here.

Oh.......Did I say I have one for sale?
see:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/018251.html

Good Luck,
-Michael

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops
<<< <<< Pix of my GT /- -/ Pix of my Vettes >>> >>>
*** *** "If you appreciate my contribution,..please rate me, Thanks" *** ***

SaskatoonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaskatoonFieroSend a Private Message to SaskatoonFieroDirect Link to This Post
ok, But were is it?,

SaskatoonFiero

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The EGR tube? Only the V6 has it, it runs from the exhaust pipe crossover at the EGR near the coil, by the distributor, and up under the plenum right behind where the throttle body attaches. It will be wrapped in a fabric-type insulated blanket that's silver, though some of the silver foil may have come off by now. The tube is known to crack quite commonly at the point where it attaches to the intake manifold upper plenum, any movement there means it's broken. Also, if you spray carb cleaner at the joint and the RPM changes that also confirms a crack.

JazzMan

2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
EGR TUBE location

Photos by JazzMan

Dr Vinculum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr VinculumClick Here to visit Dr Vinculum's HomePageSend a Private Message to Dr VinculumDirect Link to This Post

I replaced mine under suspicion of a vac leak, and it seemed very fragile.. You could very well crack it just trying to remove it. But the kicker was when i took it off, the intake side was completely clogged with black carbon. Also it seems like the EGR tube entry point at the intake is a nice spot for carb cleaner to collect, so beware if you clean your throttle body with carb cleaner, excess will run down into the tube. The braided steel replacement at Fierostore is very nice, and cheaper than a stock replacement.

Dr V

------------------
'87 GT Stock (but working on it)
'78 Camaro Prostreet, 406ci, 4-link, Heavy modded.
'99 Dodge Dakota, 3" lift, 33x11.5s, Flowmaster 40

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
wow ragtop, your engine compartment is so clean you could eat out of it .. haha nice

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock