Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  RC Nitro Fuel in a 2.8?? also should i plug vaccuum??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

RC Nitro Fuel in a 2.8?? also should i plug vaccuum?? by C DuBBz87GT
Started on: 01-24-2004 11:59 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: RTNmsds on 01-26-2004 01:19 PM
C DuBBz87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
I know that methanol (methyl) is a "NO-NO" in almost any automobile engine, but only if its over 5% by volume. And so what if i was to put some RC nitro fuel in the car mixed with gas, this would possably make a leaner gas ratio, correct? what would happen if i porred a bit in? all it consists of is alcohol and liquid nitro.

Also i yanked out the canister underneath the cruise control, should i plug the hoses that are comeing out of the cruise controll or what??

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
It will eat all the rubber seals in the fuel system.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I always thought that RC fuel contained castor oil, too. That *couldn't* be good for the injectors.

I don't even want to think about what could happen by running this stuff through your engine.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
While I really don't think castor or the other lubricants they use would affect injectors, the alcohol messing with the rubber would be a concern. If you keep the R/C fuel to less than 5%, the nitro you're adding would be only 1%, assuming 20% fuel, a little on the heavy side for most fliers. Some R/C fuel is up to 50%, but the total % in your mix wouldn't be enough to be worth the cost and effort.

What would it do to your O2 sensor?

GL

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by C DuBBz87GT:

I know that methanol (methyl) is a "NO-NO" in almost any automobile engine, but only if its over 5% by volume. And so what if i was to put some RC nitro fuel in the car mixed with gas, this would possably make a leaner gas ratio, correct? what would happen if i porred a bit in? all it consists of is alcohol and liquid nitro.

Also i yanked out the canister underneath the cruise control, should i plug the hoses that are comeing out of the cruise controll or what??

There is a whole lot of oil in that stuff...I've had nitro cars for years. The nitro cars basically run like diesel engines. The nitro fuel contains at least 15% oil by volume to lubricate things internally.

If you want to put some methanol in your gas, I'd suggest getting a bottle of gas dryer...that stuff usually is methanol....just check the back of the bottle.

Dave

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
There's no reason why you can't make your own nitro. We had looked into running it but it is very expensive to use as much as you would need in a full sized engine down the quarter.
C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks all,
no worries i dont plan to try it out.
My girlfriend has bronchidis (SP?) so i have ALOT of time on my hands to think this weeken
Just fyi ive got an electric stampede, a .21 T-maxx, Micro RS4 and a couple electric air planes
86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Yea not to mention it would be 1 gallon to a possible 9 or 10, and its 25-30 a gallon for the fuel.

------------------

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I use to race R/C cars. I bought the nitro (pure) and oil, and made my own mix to get the right mix for the right type of race. It has been years since buying the nitro, so I am not sure what the cost are, or if it is as readily available anymore.

Originally posted by ditch:

There is a whole lot of oil in that stuff...I've had nitro cars for years. The nitro cars basically run like diesel engines. The nitro fuel contains at least 15% oil by volume to lubricate things internally.

If you want to put some methanol in your gas, I'd suggest getting a bottle of gas dryer...that stuff usually is methanol....just check the back of the bottle.

Dave

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I use to race R/C cars. I bought the nitro (pure) and oil, and made my own mix to get the right mix for the right type of race. It has been years since buying the nitro, so I am not sure what the cost are, or if it is as readily available anymore.

that's cool
I don't know if it's available pure now. I haven't seen any at the local hobby stores or in the catalogs. As far as price goes. Around here, it's around $12-15 for one gallon (that's the 15% nitro fuel). You can buy higher nitro % fuel but it's considerably more expensive. I run 20% in all my cars. I used 40% once....that kicked some butt...big power increase, but it costs around $13 for a quart (that's nearly $50 a gallon)
Dave

C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
I use 25% in the summer and 30% in the winter b/c higher percent = higher running temp and i need a higher temp for a .21 w/ a C-vec (dual moving baffle) exhaust
all my rc stuff is for sale, 4000 for all of it free shipping. LOL thanks to my new REAL car
PFF
System Bot
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Here you go... 100% pure nitromethane. $30 per gallon (or $25 in 5 gallon cans).

http://web.iwebcenters.com/worldwideracingfuel3/productCat39476.ctlg

RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post

RTNmsds

1104 posts
Member since Oct 2003
P.S. You may want to reference this as well....

http://www.turbofast.com.au/racefuel6.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock