Alternate to turbo charging 2.5 or 2.8 by bobmarshall
Started on: 01-24-2004 10:30 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fieroturbo on 01-25-2004 07:26 PM
bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried installing the 2.0 turbo OHC motor from an 87-90 Sunbird? This engine is already built for the turbo, bolts to the Getrag and is compact. It makes 165HP without intercooling. Seems a simple way to have a turbo charged fiero and it is a real pontiac motor. I have read that these engines were hand built in Brazil and are based on an Opel engine from Europe. Check out the last issue of Muscle Car by Hemmings and you will see an 87 convertable with an automatic run a 14.170/ 94.83. Not bad for a stock engine with a automatic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FrugalFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
Somebody else just asked this question not too long ago...the general consensus was this motor was not very reliable, and other engine swaps are easier and have more bang for the $$$.

------------------
Tim
Red 88 Formula Auto
Stock 2.8 100K+ Miles
Hypertech Thermomaster
NoCat NoEGR

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
www.v8archie.com

------------------

AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
A real Pontiac motor based on an Opel engine? I don't know what to say about that.

GL

bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallDirect Link to This Post
Tugboat: A pontiac motor based on an Opel engine built in Brazil. GM owns Opel and if you watch the European Touring Sedan races on Speed Channel you will see some pretty powerful Opels racing. My only point was that here is a package that appears ready to go and has 25 more HP than the HO 2.8.
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
I'm not doubting it's a nice engine, it just sounds about as much "Pontiac" as stock cars are "stock".

GL

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if anyone has done it, but there's no reason you couldn't.

I doubt that a stock sunbird ran a 14.1, but stranger things have happened. Probably had the boost cranked for that pass.

It's probably lighter then other options.

Originally posted by bobmarshall:

Has anyone tried installing the 2.0 turbo OHC motor from an 87-90 Sunbird? This engine is already built for the turbo, bolts to the Getrag and is compact. It makes 165HP without intercooling. Seems a simple way to have a turbo charged fiero and it is a real pontiac motor. I have read that these engines were hand built in Brazil and are based on an Opel engine from Europe. Check out the last issue of Muscle Car by Hemmings and you will see an 87 convertable with an automatic run a 14.170/ 94.83. Not bad for a stock engine with a automatic.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2004 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Look at my sig, I'm the one to talk to about K-class Brazillian J-body 2.0 motors, and 4bangers in general.

The motor could be good for autocross, or in a rally car, and some darn good parts are available at www.mantapart.com, but an issue I had was that it is all aluminum, and the head DOES NOT hold up to the test of time.

I stripped out a camshaft cover bolt, and messed up a spark plug thread. I also had issues with head warpage by the outer cylinders (especially cyliner #4).

If you come across one in a junkyard, go for it. But otherwise, go with something newer. Back in the 80's, that motor would have been great for the Fiero, and it would have given it a 50/50 weight balance too.

If you want a turbo 4-banger, do what either Bryson is doing (in which you can keep the stock tranny mounts), or like what I'm doing with an Ecotec Turbo.

Click here for my Ecotec thread. You'll like what you see
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045570.html

And check out Bryson's as well:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/040182-5.html

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (RIP. KIA by a Ford)
19** Chevy S-10....Coming soon

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 01-25-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock