Started on: 01-23-2004 01:01 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Blacktree on 02-22-2004 06:58 PM
Phil86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering if i could run 1.5 lowering springs and monroe sensatrac struts/shocks?

if so, let me know!
if not, they will not be bought!

thanks eh

-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Please rate me if i am of any assistance, thank you...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly the setup I have on my 86 SE, but I don't think the monroe struts come in sensatrac for Fieros (at least they didn't when I bought them last year).

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
My fronts are cut and my backs are coil overs. Lowered about an 1 7/8
I am running Sensatrac bought them at AutoZone.
They have been on the car for about a year without a problem.
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Just chiming in - I put Sensi-Trac struts in my Fiero this fall. Got 'em at Parts Source. Just in case anyone thought they was a"not-available-in-Canada" thing..
Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
thanks everyone for the info and the quick replies!

-Phil

the_rib

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the_ribSend a Private Message to the_ribDirect Link to This Post
For the guys that have them on thier Fieros, how much improvement in handling was there? I've kinda thought about doing that too.
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by the_rib:

For the guys that have them on thier Fieros, how much improvement in handling was there? I've kinda thought about doing that too.

It's an unbelievable world of difference. I've always thought that the Fiero sat a bit too high in stock form and would benefit from a 1.5" - 2" drop. I put on a set of 7 x 17 rims and tires and was blown away by the handling. I haven't gone up against anything that could outperform it on the twisties, other than $100,000+ Porsches etc (now outpowering the Fiero, that's another story ... )

I'm sure the competition of a lowered Fiero vs a Corvette contributed to the Fiero's demise.

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I know why you ask. The Sens-a-tracs are designed for comfort through a certian range and performance when compressed beyond that. I have Sens-a-tracs all around on my lowered Fiero and suspect that the shocks are closer to their performance range than their comfort range. Nothing for me to compare it to.

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!
Battery re-located up front using a V8 Archie box
Remote Start/Window Rollup/Lock/Trunk Release/Alarm
White Gauge Faces w/120 MPH Speedometer Conversion
Urethane Suspension Bushings
Sequential Tallights
Custom Painted Dash Panels
Oreif's painted door tabs and horn button
Shortened Automatic Shifter w/Beretta shiftknob
SpyHunter Scoop
H4 Headlight Conversion - done right!
LED Third Brake Light/Custom Headliner
Braided Steel Brake Hoses
Lowered an inch

Still not on the road!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of Monroe SensaTracks on my '86 coupe. The suspension was mostly stock, other than the aftermarket rear sway bar and urethane endlink/pillowblock bushings. The ride, as mentioned above, was comfortable on smooth roads, but tightened up during hard maneuvers. The shocks/struts were great for 3-4 years, until they started to soften up too much for my tastes.

With stiffer springs, the softening-up of the shocks/struts may be more noticeable, as the stiffer springs will make the car more "bouncy" as the shocks/struts soften over time. Personally, I'd buy firmer shock/struts (KYB?) to match the stiffer springs. Or you could just buy a new set of SensaTracks every 3-4 years.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-22-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock