Engine swap in the not-too-distant future by smokinjoefission
Started on: 01-22-2004 02:23 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: LT188GT on 01-22-2004 02:38 PM
smokinjoefission

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageClick Here to Email smokinjoefissionSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
After lurking through the boards and devouring all I can on engine swapping, I've decided that the ol' 2.8 will eventually become a boat anchor and something with a tad more motorvation will be pushing my 86 SE around.

I love the Ecotec. No if's ands or buts, that motor is just too damn sexy. The Old's Quad 4 is equally as sexy. Unfortunately, I'm hooked on Vs and on Sixes, and the sound that goes with them, so that limits my choices.

A high priority (probably second, after raw git-up-and-go) is better front-to-back weight distribution on the Fiero. Overpowered understeer is fun, but it gets old after a while, so I'm not willing to go with a Chevy V8 due to it's bloated weight (not to mention, how the hell do you change the forward bank's spark plugs????), so aluminum is very desirable.

I think the engine that I want to go with would be a variant of the Buick GN's 3800, in an aluminum block. I've seen a few places (not that I've looked too hard) that sells them, and I think this'd be the way to go. Stick one in my SE, put a hairdryer on it, and keep it around 300 hp.

My biggest worry concerns the existing Fiero transmission. Excuse my GM ignorance (circumstance kept me into mostly Fords and foreign cars), but will a Buick block bolt up to the 4 speed (and later 5 speed) transmission? I'm not 100% sure that the posts I've read about 3800s are referring to the same engine.

On a scale of 1 - 10, what level of difficulty is this kind of engine swap?

And lastly, would I use the existing Fiero ECM or another unit?

Thanks for any pointers putting me in the right direction!

SJF

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTClick Here to Email LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
My LT1 is not that much heavier than the 2.8 V6 (Alum heads) and I can probably change all 8 plugs faster than most people can change 6 on the 2.8. as nothing is in the way. I change my plugs from the bottom with no problem.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock