Steering Rack Problems by blazin'
Started on: 01-21-2004 12:41 AM
Replies: 1
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 01-21-2004 01:59 AM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
I'm having some real PITA problems with these stupid racks..... The one I took out, has about 1.5 cm of play on the driver's side (in the rack around the bellow) while installed. While off, the main shaft will move about half a centimeter in relation with the rack. The one I just put in had slight play, which I guess it should, but it felt really good and tight. After installed, that side still has as much play as before! Whats the deal? The inner tie rods are quite new and are tight.

Basically, my question is, besides the rack bushing, what goes wrong with these things?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Try adjusting the pre-load on the rack. Loosen the castle lock nut on the plunger cap, and bottom the cap out.

You don't crank that cap down untill it doesn't turn anymore, just turn it in untill it starts to get hard to turn. Turn the cap back out 60° , and hold it in that position while tightening the lock nut.

The plunger cap is that thingy that's perpindicular to the steering shaft , pointy upwards.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock