Started on: 01-20-2004 05:34 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Firefox on 01-20-2004 10:46 PM
mattm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Can i tow a 4 speed Fiero with the front wheels on a dolly for about 120 miles?

Thanks, Matt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84se-Stock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se-StockSend a Private Message to 84se-StockDirect Link to This Post
I really wouldn't suggest it. It's really hard on the drivetrain. The best way to do it is with the back tires on the dolley. The only thing is if you're renting a dolley...don't tell them you're towing a Fiero or let them know you're going to tow it with the front tires on the ground or they won't let you rent the equipment.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Towing a manual transmission with the rear wheels on the ground is fine. Just put it in neutral and take off the parking brake. Do not tow an automatic this way or you will destroy the transmission.

The reason they won't rent the equipment to you is that towing a car with the steering wheels on the ground is dangerous. Note: The built in steering wheel lock is NOT strong enough to keep the wheels from shifting. If the wheels shift while you are towing, it could flip you tow vehicle over or throw you out of control.

84se-Stock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se-StockSend a Private Message to 84se-StockDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah...sorry. Automatic is bad for the tranny...manual is okay. My bad.
mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. + for everyone for answering
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
carry it on your back

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind also that when you tow a car backwards on it's steer wheels, the front end alignment is set for forward motion and not backwards. The alignment is set so you have a 'toe-in' condition, and towing backwards gives you a 'toe-out' condition. A tow-out means that the tires are trying to pull the car in seperate directions, whereas a toe-in pushes the front end together. When towing backwards, and running over rough pavement, your car can do a little swerving back and forth if your alignment isn't good, and it also wears your tires in an abnormal way.

Mark

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock