Light height by Tone-Dawg
Started on: 01-20-2004 01:31 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Tone-Dawg on 01-20-2004 10:05 PM
Tone-Dawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tone-DawgClick Here to visit Tone-Dawg's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tone-DawgDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone happen to know what the legal ride height is for both headlights and tailights. I' wondering about the lowest and hightest that they can be placed. Thanks in advance for any help, and if it changes from state to state, I am in Minnesota.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
The height is measured from the ground to the centre of the lamp. I would think that it is fairly standard (GM makes all the cars the same) , but may vary from state to state. There should be a government website with the Minnesota traffic laws published.

I can't remember what Ontario is off hand, but I'll bet the Fiero stock headlight is close to the limit. I suspect that lowering it into the fascia a bit would be too low. (maybe just lowering your car)

Tone-Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tone-DawgClick Here to visit Tone-Dawg's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tone-DawgDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at the best places to relocate the lights, but I want to keep them at the legal height. I'll see if I can find a site with the traffic laws, but if anyone knows off the top of their head, please post. It would be a great help.Thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Getting it legal is a tough one.

Technically only the OE setup is legal on most cars in most states.

There are federal rules (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, FMVSS for short) covering all exterior and some interior lighting. Many states just use the fed rules. You can read the fed rules by following the link to the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) on the links page in my cave. Fiero's OE headlight system is a B type system as described in FMVSS 571.108 I think. (Most all vehicle lighting is in section 108.)

You may also want to search the archives here. We've covered some issues before there but it has been a long time. Of note... Even tho many conversions aren't technically legal, if you can make them look legal, you will be much less likely to have problems.

Examples of things we've covered...

Some people use fog/driving lights to replace headlamps. This is highly illegal just about everywhere in U.S. and Canada far as I know.

Some people run "Tom's" conversion. This system, installed as Tom did it, uses standardised DOT headlamps. It's not fully legal but it looks more legal due to using DOT lamps. Many, but not all, state inspectors and others will ignore them as long as they see the DOT markings. Even the use of DOT lamps doesn't insure passing inspections or avoiding equipment tickets.

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Tone-Dawg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tone-DawgClick Here to visit Tone-Dawg's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tone-DawgDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre, I'll check into that. When I have enough posts to rate you, I'll give you a + for all your help, thanks again You saved me the trouble of finding out the hard way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock