Started on: 01-20-2004 02:26 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 02-25-2004 01:42 PM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT, I bought it with a really bad clutch, replaced it by pulling the motor and trans like you should. I do have a check engine light on for the O2 sense, When I am driving and the car is still somewhat cold it runs ok, but after it warms up and I am driving it will just dye, but with it in gear, I can down shift it and "jump start it" as I am rolling and it will back fire every so often. I wouldn't really care so much but I am driving it to work and its really cold out and its going to be a few more weeks before I install the N*. Any ideas?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Replace the O2 sensor.

Then clean the throttle body, check the timing and install the Northstar.

------------------

1986 SE 350 V8

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 01-20-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Would the O2 sense make the car dye after it warms up?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Would the O2 sense make the car dye after it warms up?

No sure about the O2 sensor, BUT when's the last time you checked the dist. module...??? You could be losing it.

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a bad engine (ECM) temp sensor.
psychic_mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychic_mechanicSend a Private Message to psychic_mechanicDirect Link to This Post
Just about any of the sensors can cause this once the car warms up and starts reading input from the sensors.

If you have a code in your ECM, it's always a good idea to address that first. Chances are if your O2 sensor is more than a couple years old, it's bad. I'd start with replacing the sensor even though the code could be a symptom from something else.

wriott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wriottSend a Private Message to wriottDirect Link to This Post
My car did the exact same thing! I have an 85 GT auto that would want to die in gear when close to idle. when idleing in neutral or park it would run just fine. i was told that it could either be the sensors (mainly the O2, or temp) or it could be the ignition system. i ended up replacing all the sensors and the ignition system at the same time. ever since then my car has run fine. if you car has the same problem that mine did then i would recomend checking out those two options. hope they work.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys it died on my way home from work today and had it towed to a buddies house, hes going to scan it tomorrow or so and then we can go from there, I will post what it was so we all know if someone else has the same problem, thanks again.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Yep ignition module or coil went kaput........All long time owners carry spares in their tool kit.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I looked in the Haynes and it doesn't really have a go picture of the ignition module. Can you tell me or show me where it located at?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

I looked in the Haynes and it doesn't really have a go picture of the ignition module. Can you tell me or show me where it located at?

Take the distributor cap off. Its the small black box under the rotor. Plug on each end.

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Do check this, crank the engine and watch your tach. If it don't start and your tach didn't move while cranking, unplug and reseat the connectors on the distrib. They can be very intermitant. If you're not getting tach pulses then you're not getting spark either. If that don't get your tach to move, remove the distrib cap and make sure you did not pinch any wires inside the last time you put the cap on. Good luck.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ignition modules aren't that hard to find just lift the cap and take out the 2 little screws. I can do that with my eyes closed. When you check the spark, watch the color. Sometimes a weak coil or coil pac will spark but it will be yellow instead of electric blue. That has fooled a few people into thinking the spark is okay.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 01-27-2004).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would finish this thread, I replaced the mod. under the rad. cap and that didn't work, replaced the fuel filter and that didn't work, I replaced the coil and ign pick up under the cap and so far so good.
Just to let you all know or those of you that haven't had to change the pick up ring under the dist. cap, heres how you do it.
1. Remove the coil and move it over, that gives you alot more room, and to do so there are 2 13mm bolt type screws that held mine down.
2. make a mark on the dist. shaft and on the block so you have the location marked where it was so it can be placed back in the same location.
3. Remove the singal bolt on the intake
4. Remove the dist. cap
5. NOTE, where the black plactic rotor is pointing
6. Remove the dist. by pulling straight up and it helps if you turn it back and forth alittle
7. pull off the black rotor
8. then there are three spots that look like they maybe allen screws covered in oil, they are not, the top two are one push pin type thing. it needs to be punched out and removed.
9. Then remove the bottom part under the gear and remove the gear and washer, plus there is a thick type washer with some little folfs sticking up, watch where it is so you know whee to put it back and how it was, you can really see it before you pull it all apart.
10. from the top pull the shaft out
11. pry off the old squire type ring that hold it on, and unplug it
12 pull off the old plastic pick up
13. replace it with the new one and be sure to line up the two little taps on the bottom
14. plug it in to the ign. mod
15. put on and line up the new retainer ring and pop it on using a little larger socket than the top of the shaft
NOTE not to hard
16. put the shaft back in, infact the install is just doing everything backwards, just besure you line it up the way it came out!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

I thought I would finish this thread, I replaced the mod. under the rad. cap and that didn't work, replaced the fuel filter and that didn't work, I replaced the coil and ign pick up under the cap and so far so good.
Just to let you all know or those of you that haven't had to change the pick up ring under the dist. cap, heres how you do it.
1. Remove the coil and move it over, that gives you alot more room, and to do so there are 2 13mm bolt type screws that held mine down.
2. make a mark on the dist. shaft and on the block so you have the location marked where it was so it can be placed back in the same location.
3. Remove the singal bolt on the intake
4. Remove the dist. cap
5. NOTE, where the black plactic rotor is pointing
6. Remove the dist. by pulling straight up and it helps if you turn it back and forth alittle
7. pull off the black rotor
8. then there are three spots that look like they maybe allen screws covered in oil, they are not, the top two are one push pin type thing. it needs to be punched out and removed.
9. Then remove the bottom part under the gear and remove the gear and washer, plus there is a thick type washer with some little folfs sticking up, watch where it is so you know whee to put it back and how it was, you can really see it before you pull it all apart.
10. from the top pull the shaft out
11. pry off the old squire type ring that hold it on, and unplug it
12 pull off the old plastic pick up
13. replace it with the new one and be sure to line up the two little taps on the bottom
14. plug it in to the ign. mod
15. put on and line up the new retainer ring and pop it on using a little larger socket than the top of the shaft
NOTE not to hard
16. put the shaft back in, infact the install is just doing everything backwards, just besure you line it up the way it came out!

Isn't PFF great, a few weeks ago you couldn't even find the Ignition Module, today you're telling people how to repair the distributor.

Archie

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post
Ok. So how do I get the oxygen sensor out? I bought one but I can't get a wrench on the old one so that I can turn it. Since it didn't turn EASY, I don't want to strip it.

Rob

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post02-25-2004 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Archie that is wrong by the way I need a torque rod do you sell them separately from the kit and how much.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I spent $12 and got a O2 senser socket, mine came out without to much trouble, it get alittle warm driving it into the garage. Or just cut off the old wire coming out and use a reg. socket. If it still doesn't come out warm it up with a small torch and then pure on some warm water, thats how I removed the 3 freeze plugs on the small block Chevy blocks?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock