Started on: 01-19-2004 05:41 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Steve Normington on 01-19-2004 10:40 PM
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
A few minutes ago I went out to start my car to get home from work and it did something very odd. When i turned the key it sounded like something was spinning but it wasn't the engine. It was an odd sound like the noise a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle makes but really really fast. I let go of the keys and sat there for a second wondering what that was and when i turned the keys again it started right up like normal. It was about 17 degrees at the time. I was wondering if anyone knew what that could have been.

JEremiah

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
My guess is that that was your starter. If the solenoid sticks, the teeth from the starter will not engage the teeth on the ring gear. So your starter motor will be spinning all by itself.
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
Could be the throw-out bearing on the starter didn't fully engage the flywheel. I've had this happen to lots of cars in the past, and it being that cold could cause it to be worse: lubricant tends to turn to jello then cement the colder it gets.

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

[This message has been edited by smokinjoefission (edited 01-19-2004).]

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Does that sound mean the coming death of the starter?
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a leaf in the heater blower to me........possibly......good luck.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Sounds like a leaf in the heater blower to me........possibly......good luck.

Phil

i get one about once every other week.
flip the fan switch to high for a sec and then back down to whatever speed and all is better.

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... well, hopefully it doesn't mean the starter is going to die. You have to take the engine out to replace it, dont you?

knightfieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knightfieroGTSend a Private Message to knightfieroGTDirect Link to This Post
kinda sounds like a heat shield on the engine might be loose and rattling. i had an issue with this not too long ago.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
When it made the odd noise, did the engine turn over or try to start? A leaf or a rattling heat sheild would allow the engine to still start.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock