Loose EGR hose by smokinjoefission
Started on: 01-17-2004 08:48 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: PURPLE REIGN on 01-23-2004 12:13 AM
smokinjoefission

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
On the topic of egr hoses and vacuum leaks: Is this a bad thing?

I've got one of those infamous high idles (very often: 1500 rpm, occasionally: 2000 rpm, once in a while: 3000 rpm, mostly when cold). And have been researching and reading the EGR posts on the board. Today, I poked around my engine's EGR tube and was surprised that I could wiggle it 1/2 inch left-and-right where it goes into the plenum. Is that normal?

Thanks,

SJF

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
NO it's definatly broken, also the cause of your idle problem's Time for a new one

------------------

[This message has been edited by PURPLE REIGN (edited 01-17-2004).]

1987 Trans Am

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Purple Reign. Your EGR tube is NOT supposed to move that much. Mine was the same way. It idled extremely high and you could feel the loss of power at acceleration. I am infact still dealing with the problem of replacing it. You can get a replacement hose from The Fiero Store or from various people here on PFF. Otherwise, you can find one off a firebird of similar year as your Fiero. Just info I received. Good luck!
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

I'll replace it tomorrow. I have a complete parts engine in my garage, so with a bit of luck, the hose on that one is ok.

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smokinjoefission:

Thanks guys!

I'll replace it tomorrow. I have a complete parts engine in my garage, so with a bit of luck, the hose on that one is ok.

if you have my bad luck and that one is bad to .go a get any f-body v-6 with fuel injecton and drill the the old intake side to match the egr side then do some bending and it will work fine
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
If you need one.........I have one ! $35.00
-Michael

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops
<<< <<< Pix of my GT /- -/ Pix of my Vettes >>> >>>
*** *** "If you appreciate my contribution,..please rate me, Thanks" *** ***

smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
I think I found the cause of my high idle:

Not just cracked, but snapped off!

I wasn't able to figure out how to get the insulating wrap onto the new EGR tube, so I left it off. I tied any wires (IAC) away from the EGR tube so as to not put them in harm's way. Is it going to be OK to run without the insulation?

Thanks,

SJF

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1986 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
It will run fine without the insulation, you did the smart thing by pulling everything out of the way, that's all the insulation is for.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock