Started on: 01-16-2004 05:45 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Songman on 01-23-2004 11:47 AM
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I pulled a blue dingy thingy from a junkyard car the other day cause my car doesn't have one. I know everyone says to loose the stupid things anyway, but I have a habit of turning on the parking lights during drives to work and back just so I can see the gauges better, and then walking off and leaving the parking lights on all day. So I'd like to keep it for that reason.

The problem I have with it is that it dings WHEN THE PARKING BRAKE IS ON! What idiot engineer thought of that? Oh man is that annoying, specially with my manual trans car. Does anyone have some kind of schematic of the dingy thingy or a wiring diagram for it? I'd like to pull off the pin on the box or something to cut that circut. How do I get it to stop dinging with the Ebrake?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I can't get a diagram of the pinout for the dinngy thingy, however I can tell you that it is the Tan wire with a white stripe that activates the ding for the brake. Figure out witch pin that goes to the tan/white wire, and cut that pin off. That should do it.
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
It's not suposted to be doing that.... It's only suposted to when the lighs are on and the engine is off....Not while your driving....

------------------

www.freewebs.com/fierogti

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thats what I meant Razor, I tend to forget I turned the lights on and walk away from the car with them still on. I need it to ding when I do that, but not when the stupid e brake is on.

Thanks obsessed, I'll look for that wire.

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Don't drive with the e-brake on and the chime should stop.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Look at your posts

30+mpg

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Don't drive with the e-brake on and the chime should stop.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Devilish?
ImmortalFirefly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImmortalFireflyClick Here to visit ImmortalFirefly's HomePageSend a Private Message to ImmortalFireflyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Devilish?

No....Satanic

Austin

------------------

Practice makes perfect, but since nobody's perfect, why practice?
If life gives you lemons, take them and throw them at people you hate.

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
If the pins are numbered on the box then it's PIN 5 Just cut it off and the brake warning will stop.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Stuart. I don't drive with the E Brake on, smart alecs. But sitting in the car listening to the stereo while I'm waiting for something should'nt be interrupted by that stupid thing dinging all the time.
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post
Here's a few links

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5007/fiero_osg/mod.brake-chime.html
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5007/fiero_osg/chime.html

also, there used to be good info here, but this link no longer seems to work

http://home.xnet.com/~nife/articles/tt-warningchimes.html

maybe NIFE still has it somewhere

[This message has been edited by JD86GT350 (edited 01-19-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
pred1tor83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Direct Link to This Post
hmmm... i would think it would be best to drive with the E brake OFF??? just a thought
stuartlowery

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Instead of cutting the wire if you modify the box you don't have to worry about returning it back to stock functionality. Just replace the box. Or do the modification inside the box.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The terminals in the chime/flasher/horn socket can be removed without cutting.

The chime unit is coevered in my cave. there are links to the wiring diagram for it there.

The socket terminals work like the C500 terminals shown in Terminal Access in my cave.

Take down the chime socket and look at the back. Take out the white clip and then use a wire in the notch on the front side to let the terminal pull out the back. Then if you ever want normal function all you do is put the terminal back in it's hole. Make sure any terminal you remove can't short against anything. Some of them have power and can blow fuses etc.

I have the wire for the seat belt buzzer switch removed on mine. The light still goes on, which tells you the chime box is working, but you don't get the noise if you start the car before putting the seat belt on. Such as starting a car in cold weather so it warms while you get snow off.

------------------
Edison Carter: When did the News become Entertainment?
Murray: Since it was invented.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
The blue dingy thingy should come one anythime that the parking brake light is on. I fixed mine from dinging while driving by disconnecting the wire the the parking brake. Just had to remove the lower trim that covers the parking brake lever
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I did the simplest thing and just cut the stupid wire. Wrapped up the loose ends in electrical tape just in case. If, for some reason I can't fathom, I wanted it to chime again when the parking brake is on, I'll just get a wire nut and put the wire back together. The E Brake light still comes on so I don't forget about it, but no annoying incessant dinging. Thanks for the help.
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
If you only want to be reminded when the ignition is off and the lights are on why not get one of the aftermarket buzzers? You can get them at WalMart for about $6.00 where the automotive light bulbs are displayed. It is a small buzzer about 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" with two wires and the necessary fuse taps. One wire connects to a fuse that is hot only when the ignition is on. The other connects to the parking light circuit fuse.

When the ignition is on and the lights are on you have 12 volts+ to both wires and the buzzer is silent. When the ignition is off and the lights are on you get 12 volts+ from the light circuit and ground from the off ignition circuit which results in the buzzer sounding off. When both the lights and ignition are off you have ground on both wires and a silent buzzer.

The buzzer has double stick tape so you just stick it to the fuse box. It takes just a few minutes to install, does not require and cutting or stripping of wires, and can be removed without a trace in seconds.

I've used these in many old cars since the 60's.

If you already have a collection of fuse taps or wire taps you can save a few bucks and buy just the buzzer with plain end wires at Radio Shack for about $2.00.

Good luck,

Carroll

Here is a link to the buzzer at Radio Shack. It costs $2.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=273-055

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 01-20-2004).]

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
I think I would have adjusted the E-brake cable and left the wiring intact.
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
I ran a short jumper wire on the inside to disable the parking brake chime. Took about 5 mins and can easily be returned to stock
Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTDirect Link to This Post
OK, exactly why don't you just disconnect (read unplug) the wire connected to the rear handbrake. Just unbolt the molding, pull it back and disconnect. That's it. It only dings when the connection is there to ground out the wire.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Doesn't that kill the light on the dash too?

The solution I used didn't cost me anything and I can fix it in 30 seconds with a $.02 wire nut. Not a big deal. I get the chime for the lights like I wanted, and the seatbelt light so I can get the custom idiot lights I want, and it doesn't ding when the parking brake is on but the light still comes on so I don't forget.

PFF
System Bot
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know of any way to repair a broken chime...I have one that doesn't make any sounds,
and another that beeps with the lights on, and beeps fast when you start the car...
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
The problem I have with it is that it dings WHEN THE PARKING BRAKE IS ON! What idiot engineer thought of that?

My thought is that you'd want it to chime when the PARKING BRAKE IS ON. Otherwise you may forget that the brake is on and drive off, creating havic with the rear calipers, rear rotor etc. Of course if you never use the parking brake (bad idea), the cable rusts up and it won't work anyway.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

My thought is that you'd want it to chime when the PARKING BRAKE IS ON. Otherwise you may forget that the brake is on and drive off, creating havic with the rear calipers, rear rotor etc. Of course if you never use the parking brake (bad idea), the cable rusts up and it won't work anyway.

As mentioned above, for those of us with 4&5-speed transmission, sometimes you sit with the brake "on" and the engine running. An example would be waiting for your spose to get money from the ATM, all the while the "DING - DING - DING" is going on and on. I finaly just unplugged the blue-dingy-thingy. It was just too annoying. The seatbelt noise was also annoying.

Roy

turbotoad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

The problem I have with it is that it dings WHEN THE PARKING BRAKE IS ON! What idiot engineer thought of that?

The one who knew that some idiot driver would forget to release the e-brake before driving off! It's called idiot proofing.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Have you ever had another car that dinged when the e brake was on? I've never been in one. And come on, there's nice red light right there on the dash. If you can't remember to take the e brake off before going and aren't paying enough attention that you miss the red light right by the speedometer, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

As for the seatbelt buzzer, either the dingy thingy I got doesn't have one or its broken. The seatbelt light comes on and it dings 3 times when I start it, but thats it. Which is fine by me.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbotoad:

The one who knew that some idiot driver would forget to release the e-brake before driving off! It's called idiot proofing.

Hummmm.... That was a little harsh.

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Well I must have a good e-brake. I pull the e-brake handle and it ding's but if i just let the handle down without pushing the button the dinging goer away but the e-brake is still on and the red light stays on. seems like a very good system to me.
Don
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanpaul:

Does anyone know of any way to repair a broken chime...I have one that doesn't make any sounds,
and another that beeps with the lights on, and beeps fast when you start the car...

Ogre's cave tells you all you need to know about the blue dingy thingy.. If you are good with circuits and stuff you can repair one.. Easiest thing is to just go to a junkyard and get another one though...

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com - New mods for your Fiero from Fiero Performance Bayern in Germany

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock