Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Car dies when shift into drive or reverse: Vacume Leak?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Car dies when shift into drive or reverse: Vacume Leak? by Adrift
Started on: 01-16-2004 03:49 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 1987 Trans Am on 01-17-2004 01:00 AM
Adrift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdriftClick Here to visit Adrift's HomePageSend a Private Message to AdriftDirect Link to This Post
My car won't idle in any gear but park and neutral it seems. When I shift into gear it just fizzles out. Could a vaccum leak cause this? What are other possible cause?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoClick Here to Email fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the torque converter clutch is out.

Do a search for diagnosing one.

I thinks Ogre has info in his cave also.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Is it idleing too fast and dying when you put in gear, or idle too slow to keep running? Any codes showing with chk eng lite? May need to clean or replace IAC valve, spray down the inside of throttle body with FI cleaner. Past that, check the cave like he said.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i agree with both.
if it's idleing normal in park and then dies in gear, listen to hoho
if it's idleing low listen to roger
Adrift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdriftClick Here to visit Adrift's HomePageSend a Private Message to AdriftDirect Link to This Post
It's ideling to fast when in Park. Has a new IAC which has been tested and is function properly. MAP sensor code is given, but installed a new map and have checked all vacum lines all seem to be ok.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Click Here to Email jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
Idling fast in park sounds like vaccum leak
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Unplug the MAP sensor connector and look into it and see what color it is (red, green,blue,black, orange) Make sure you have the same one that was in it originally. Mine had orange, and NAPA, and all the GM dealers all said the black was the only one made now and it would work. It didnt on mine. Autozone had all the different ones. (Im talking about the black plastic sensor on the top right side of the engine attached to the intake, rectangle shaped with 1 connector and vacum lines) I always get those damn sensors mixed up)
Misred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredClick Here to Email MisredSend a Private Message to MisredDirect Link to This Post
COuld also be another 30 dollar part...the neutral safety switch for the trans. And a real joy to replace.
Another two cent idea.
Red
JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
My 85 V6 would stall going into DRIVE or REVERSE from PARK after a cold start.
I added a new ground wire from battery to engine block ( a la $RICH$ ) and resolved the problem.
Might be worth 5 min. to try it.
1987 Trans Am

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmClick Here to Email 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmDirect Link to This Post
I would agree with JT on that one, sometimes a bad ground can mess you over

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock