dex cool in a 4.9 by 2-tone
Started on: 01-14-2004 07:44 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: RossT on 01-15-2004 01:22 AM
2-tone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
woult it cause any probilims useing dexcool in my 4.9 swap?thanx-B-
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
No it wouldn't cause any problems as long as you don't mix dex-cool with conventional antifreeze. Most newer vehicles are switching to Dex-cool because of its superior resistance to corrosion and longer life. It is especially recommended for use with todays aluminum engines.
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Dex-Cool is bad, Mmmkay. Stick with the green stuff, Mmmkay. (Southpark).
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
what do you mean that dex-cool is bad? are we speaking of damage here?If you are messing around with me I'll kick you square in the N****! Cartman is cool.-B-
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have herd the debate over DexCool, but the bottom line is that it is better then the green stuff and that is why GM is using it. But you DONT want to mix it with your green stuff. You are better off to just not use the DexCool. You just cant get all of the old coolant out and the leftover coolant will mess up the DexCool.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
dex cool IMO is crap, I am a gm mechanic and work with the stuff all day. It does evaporate,sludge, plug up heater cores, powder up and leak through gaskets more so than the green. I would remove dex from my own car and put in the old green.

------------------

red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
Except you cant. Uless you install a new collant system. I am talking everything needs to be repaced including all rubber hoses ans steel lines. The two coolants dont mix. The reason they switched is the red is more enviromntally friendly.

------------------
85 GT 4 speed 2.8L auto X'er

RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I visit the GM truck forums alot. They call it "death cool" over there. The general train of thought is that it's ok, but you should drain and fill every 1-2 years or drain and flush every 2-3 years. The problems occur when the fluid gets about 3 years old. It apparently gets acetic and eats gaskets. It also likes to sludge up if you have trapped air in the closed system. The Prestone version of dexcool is suppose to be better. You don't have to change anything to convert you car, just flush really well.

I am going to drain and fill my 2003 Silverado every years for 3 years until the warrantee is up, then it will be the green stuff for me.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock