Pickup Coil by Dropzone
Started on: 01-14-2004 10:31 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Dropzone on 01-18-2004 11:58 AM
Dropzone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
What role does the Pickup Coil play in the distributor? If one doesn't have spark @ the ignition coil, could the Pickup Coil be the culprit? Thanks.

------------------
-jason
'87SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it could be. However, the ignition module is FAR more likely to be the culprit. The pickup coils seem to last forever compared to the Ig. coils and modules. Then again, they do die.

If you have not replaced the module in a while, try it first.

Good luck!
Beno

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I've had p/up coils die on me. I've never had an ign module go bad yet. Its different for everyone, but with that said, generally the ign module goes bad more often. Don't forget the ign coil in the mix either. It can and does also go bad.
Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Well, my distributor was new/rebuilt 'bout a year ago. Also, I have a new ign. coil on right now. I'm going to pop off the cap and see what everything looks like today. Wondering if it is something simple. Going to clean the ign. coil's ground and solder on a new 4-wire plug for the dist. Anyway to test the pickup coil? Thanks.

------------------
-jason
'87SE

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes,
1) remove the distrib from engine
2)disconnect teh P/U coil from the module
3) test each terminal of the lead to gnd with an ohmmeter while flexing them to check for broken wires inside the connector. Reading should be infinite during all tests.
4) connect the ohmmeter to both leads at the same time and flex again. reading should be steady between 500 and 150 ohms.

If it fails either one of these tests it is bad.

------------------

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Another test for the pickup coil is to hook a multimeter set on low AC voltage (~2V) to the two wires from the coil. Make sure all wires are clear of any rotating parts and crank the engine. The meter should show some voltage from the pickup coil.
Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try that Steve, as I'm not too interested in pulling the distributor to remove the pickup coil if I don't have to. Tonight I cleaned the ign. coil's mount as it was rusty and soldered on the new 4-wire connector from The Fiero Store (which, btw, I have an extra new 2-wire connector). So, I suspect either the pickup coil, ign module, or the wiring itself. I'm assuming the black wire w/ red stripe is the 12v power source? I need to look for a wiring diagram (sp?). Thanks, all!

------------------
-jason
'87SE

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Oooh, you have to do more to remvoe the p/u coil than remove the distributor. Thats a whole 'nother story. I hope what your trying tonight fixes it.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
great...
distributor rebuild
another plan for using my new camera...

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Oooh, you have to do more to remvoe the p/u coil than remove the distributor. Thats a whole 'nother story. I hope what your trying tonight fixes it.

Yeah. I read the 'How-To' on replacing the pickup coil. I'm going to do what you suggested and have the ign. module tested. Also going to check the input 12v. Thanks all!

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
That was the culprit of my no spark problem.
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dropzone:

I need to look for a wiring diagram (sp?).

All the wiring diagrams are listed here. Big images, but worth the wait, even on dialup. The black/red wire is the ground to the ECM. The 12v power wire is the pink one.

Edit: I always tell people to use phillips screws to hold the ignition module down if they change it. It is much easier to remove the IM on the side of a road if you can use a phillps screwdriver and not have to fiddle with the hex-head screws.

PS. Use heat sink compound on the bottom of the new IM if you replace it.

[This message has been edited by Steve Normington (edited 01-15-2004).]

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Well, the Ign. module IS getting 12 volts. I flipped through my Chilton and found a diagram (thanks though Steve for the URL!!). Yeah, I found out the pink wire is the hot wire (also figured out that it is only hot when the key is in 'Run' position. Again, digram indicated that.)

I also checked the pickup coil w/ distrib. still in car. In Haynes, it tells you to do two things: (1) do a resistance check on the two leads (kinda like you suggested, 1MohrFiero), (2) touch one probe to one of the leads and the other probe to the dis. body (Should read infinite). I had a reading of .767 Ohms on the K scale. SO, it is either ign. module or ECM.

Also, while cranking the engine, I made sure to check to see if the ign. rotor was spinning. Since the dist. is cam driven and the cam is crank driven, if the timing chain were to break, I seriously doubt one would get spark, right? Thanks all!!

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Well, the ign. module checked out good (3/3 tests). I checked all the wiring and the 4-wire plug had continunity to the ECM. The ign. module is getting 12v, the pickup coil shows .767 K Ohms (767 Ohms - within range of 500 to 1500 Ohms), and the ign. coil checks up (also ign. coil is a new coil - brand Advance Auto carries). Sooooo, I believe I have a bad ECM. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

BTW, the white wire from the 2-wire connector, that goes to the tach. filter. Would that keep a car from getting spark? I doubt it since the tach. filter is only connected to the gauge. If I remember correctly, the tach. filter registered @ 14.41 K Ohms. Sound about right?

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Was the rotor turning when you cranked the engine? If not, then you probably have a broken timing chain. You should be able to look in the oil fill port while someone cranks the engine. If you don't see the rockers moving, then you need to look at your timing chain. If the rotor is turning, then you need to look some more. Did you do the test for voltage from the pickup coil?

IMS, you can disconnect the wires that go from the IM to the ECM and the IM will control the timing on its own. Don't do this until someone else has confirmed that this won't damage anything.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Pickup coils can (and often do) fail intemittantly. May test ok, then fail. Same with ign coils.
Replacing pickup coil isn't hard as long as you are careful. The first time takes about an hour, next time 25 mins....

ANYONE can drive a new car!

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Do not forget the heat factor. Electrical components can fail once heated, and coils are good for this since the wires can melt together and short.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dropzone:

Well, the ign. module checked out good (3/3 tests). I checked all the wiring and the 4-wire plug had continunity to the ECM. The ign. module is getting 12v, the pickup coil shows .767 K Ohms (767 Ohms - within range of 500 to 1500 Ohms), and the ign. coil checks up (also ign. coil is a new coil - brand Advance Auto carries). Sooooo, I believe I have a bad ECM. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

BTW, the white wire from the 2-wire connector, that goes to the tach. filter. Would that keep a car from getting spark? I doubt it since the tach. filter is only connected to the gauge. If I remember correctly, the tach. filter registered @ 14.41 K Ohms. Sound about right?

It's possible that a bad tach filter could cause a no spark condition - just unplug the tach filter and see if you get spark to verify this.

But the MOST LIKELY cause for your problem is the ignition module. This is a fairly complex electronic module; static tests may say it's OK when in fact it is completely dead. The ONLY sure test is to replace it with a good one and see if that corrects the problem. If so, you're good to go - if not, you've now got a spare; but it in the trunk with the tools you need to change it and you'll be glad you did one day in the not-too-distant future.

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all that replied! Yesterday I tossed in the reman. ECM and it fired right up. I guess the ECM wasn't getting a signal from the IM to tell the ign. coil to spark....

------------------
-jason
'87SE
'90GTZ

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock