getting out my Cat converter by C DuBBz87GT
Started on: 01-12-2004 10:42 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Arns85GT on 01-13-2004 07:20 PM
C DuBBz87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTClick Here to Email C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay, My catalytic converter is junk, (in my opinion anyway) its all rusted to heck and beyond, i was wondering what my options were, could i just cut it out and replace it with a strait pipe were the OEM cat goes? i know its illegal but cops around here dont care, moreless know were to even look for one. My father sugested that i take the cat off and shove a broom stick through it to get better air flow, would this work? Im mostly lookin for better air flow and nothing else, but i have available the proper exhaust pipe to fit in the gap if its allright to just swap em out.

On other news i turned sixteen on sunday, so im goin crazy now waiting to get my license, of course the DMV is closed on mondays!! ARG

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to cut the old one out after you get a new replacement from Rodney Dickman. His cats are top notch and are the correct replacement length for the Fiero.

Chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post
If you don't have emission testing, don't waste your money on a replacement cat. Just spend a few bucks on a straight pipe/clamps (total cost will be less than $10) and clamp it on there

Dave

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianClick Here to Email fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
if the cops don't care chop it off and put straight pipe .if you are worried that the cops will be dicks then i would take the broom handle and push all of the honey comb out.when i did mine there was only a very small amount left but it was to big to go thought the cat. so after turns it would get caught in the cat out pipes and i would lose a lot of power. if your cat is missing a lot of the honey comb then you schould put a new muffer on because it has to go some where.
silver86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver86seSend a Private Message to silver86seDirect Link to This Post
if you need to replace it just get el cheapo high flo, i think illinios has mandatory testing?...
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Exhausts are a pain in butt to work on. If you go to a garage they will not remove the cat for you, thouhg it would be simple for them to do so. It is illegal unless you know them pretty well.

The straight pipe is the simplest solution, and the less expensive, but cutting and fitting a pipe without the proper tools can be a pain. Use a grinder with a cutting wheel and make sure you get the proper sized pipe or you will have leaks. Or worse, it will fall off while you are driving.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Buy a CAT. The new ones are alot more high flow.

Buy 2 Walker band clamps.

Measure the overall length.

Cut the pipe on either side of the CAT to the exact length.

Plug in the new CAT and do up the clamps.

PS. If you don't want a CAT, buy some pipe.

------------------
Arn Brown, 1985 Fiero GT, 15.474 ET stock
Mods underway.

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackClick Here to Email ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Will no Cat make the exhaust smell bad? I was thinking of straightpiping it when I get my tips on, but I dont want my car smelling like a beater.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeClick Here to Email GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Using no cat will considerably cut down on your torque. Put a cheap one back on and you also won't have to worry about emissions.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTClick Here to Email C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, i think i will just find a new cat for my car.

thanks for the input, i really appreciate it

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cjgable:

Your best bet is to cut the old one out after you get a new replacement from Rodney Dickman. His cats are top notch and are the correct replacement length for the Fiero.

Chris

You can buy an aftermarket cat (Catco or other brand) which will flow almost as well as a straight pipe while being clean in the process. You will have to add pipe to make it work, because a modern cat is shorter,(and lighter and flows better than OEM)
Rodney Dickman supplies the pipes (stainless) and instructions to make it clean and painless. It won't cost you any horsepower, and will probably pass most states tests. I would strongly recommend it!
BTW, if running without a cat added any noticeable ammount of power, I would be the FIRST to trash mine! (it won't)

PFF
System Bot
tjfennel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ManiMack:

Will no Cat make the exhaust smell bad? I was thinking of straightpiping it when I get my tips on, but I dont want my car smelling like a beater.

I recently removed my clogged cat and replaced it with a straight pipe. The exhaust is noticably stronger-smelling. I can smell it while sitting in traffic, sometimes.

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

BTW, if running without a cat added any noticeable ammount of power, I would be the FIRST to trash mine! (it won't)

I haven't noticed any low-end horsepower, but I seem to have gained a noticable amount of high-end horsepower (more power at higher RPMs). But seeing as I had a failing cat in the first place, it might just be that the engine is simply breathing easier.

But MAN, does it sound awsome now! Sounds like I have more than just a stock 2.8L in the trunk.

Go with a cat if they test exhaust levels at inspection time.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Using no cat will considerably cut down on your torque. Put a cheap one back on and you also won't have to worry about emissions.

Phil

I don't know what factors affected your car, but when my CAT came off, my torque went up.

My CAT was pretty clogged and the free air movement openned things up.

If a CAT increased hp,, then why does your ET improve without one?

I do agree that a new CAT has alot better flow and is not as bad as the old ones, but it sure isn't a pipe!

Arn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock