Started on: 01-12-2004 02:11 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: G-Nasty on 01-13-2004 12:31 AM
Phil86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
I am beginning to design my own turbo build up and i am just wondering what cars have a good compatable turbo for the fiero?

what has everyone out there been using?

thanks eh

-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Please rate me if i am of any assistance, thank you...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
It seems the t3 from the ford thunderbirds works well with the 2.8.

Also, the older 'kit' systems came with an IHI RHB5 turbo that you can find on a lot of of the older import cars.

I'm trying out an IHI VF30 off a WRX STi. I have no idea how well it will work with the motor, but I happen to have it and so we'll see. Once I finish rebuilding the 3400, I can dyno it, and know for sure.

If you need any minor help with your homebrew, shoot me a message....

Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoDirect Link to This Post
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
If you are going through the trouble of building a turbo system the last thing you want to deal with after putting the whole thing together is a faulty turbo. It is best to purchase a new or reconditioned model unless you really know what you are buying. There are many used turbos for sale and you are relying on the buyer to provide information on the turbo condtion which can very subjective. For example, "little shaft play" and then when you get the turbo shipped to you there is "a lot of shaft play". And, not only that oil and coolant fitting are frozen, and the thing is rusted to death. Yes, I am speaking from experience.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
well I think a junkyard turbo should need be rebuilt regardless. If your lucky, and you happen to find a decent one, sobeit, but I would plan on a rebuild otherwise. you can get a rebuild kit for about 75 bucks, and its just good insurance in my opinion.

I got lucky, the turbo I picked up has about 8k miles on it, clean as a whistle....

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
If you're going for a stock 2.8 or 3.1 I would say the 2.3 Ford turbo or a Subaru unit should be OK. I'm building a 3.4 TDC and I'm using an '87 Buick Grand National turbo (Garett T3). There's a huge fanatical GN, Turbo Regal, and GNX following so there's a large aftermarket available for it, plus most of the GN guys think their stock turbo is too small so they replace them with bigger units, making stock GN units relatively easy to find. You could also try the turbo from a '90 3.1 Turbo Grand Prix. They're about $850.00 for a reman at AutoZone without a core. With a core it's $165.00 less.

Basically small turbos are good for low end with less lag, larger turbos are good for mid to higher rpms with some lag. It's all in how you drive the thing. What was the question??

------------------
85GT 3.4TDC in progress
http://www.thestewartconnection.com/fiero/fiero.html

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 01-12-2004).]

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks everyone for the input. I have a few buddies keeping their eyes open for me but it helps when i can tell them what cars to look out for...thanks though eh!

-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Please rate me if i am of any assistance, thank you...

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
so what could you pick up a junkyard tbird turbo for? and what would it cost to get it hooked up to a 2.8?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
I passed on 2 older probe GT's turbos at pick your part for $50 ea
I still think that a reman T3/T4 or TO4E would fit the 2.8 perfectly.

I have a spare sunbird GT rpm/turbo boost gauge that I bought from foxgap $40 that fits in the factory gauge cluster that is collecting dust. If anybody wants it I'll let it go for $25.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock