Started on: 01-08-2004 01:38 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fastblack on 01-10-2004 11:15 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Too bad it is only for the new trucks: the Colorado and Canyons. The prospect of an all-aluminum, DOHC, naturally asperated 4 cylinder with 2.8 liters of displacement and variable valve timing that puts out 175hp and 185tq would make a wonderful addition for the Fiero owner looking for the lightest possible powertrain with the most power without boost and with exceptional fuel economy. Unfortuneately, the picture shows a high-mount starter on what looks to be a bellhousing that is not compatible with the FWD tranny's our Fieros use.

On another note tho, I am surprised to see so many late 2003 revisions in GM powertrain as far as upping the power of their engines in the spirit of competition against their rivals. Nice to see the idea of performance is still alive and well in the minds of those pushing the buttons up in Detroit. http://www.media.gm.com/division/powertrain/index.html

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom GM Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | dtcc.cz28.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
It seems though that GM takes a few years to develop new DOHC engines, and they seem to have an excellent testing record, but a somewhat dubious production record.
My understanding was GM Powertrain built the Chevy Indy V8, which was about 50hp less than the Honda, Toyota etc. So here comes Cosworth and BOOM an instant competitor.
Don't get me wrong, I like GM, but I would hope they have learned to bring new engines out AFTER all the production bugs have been worked out.......Paul
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
WHat does their indy motor have to do with this one?

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

It seems though that GM takes a few years to develop new DOHC engines, and they seem to have an excellent testing record, but a somewhat dubious production record.
My understanding was GM Powertrain built the Chevy Indy V8, which was about 50hp less than the Honda, Toyota etc. So here comes Cosworth and BOOM an instant competitor.
Don't get me wrong, I like GM, but I would hope they have learned to bring new engines out AFTER all the production bugs have been worked out.......Paul

Sounds Cool Darth. I'm sure some nut will find a way to wedge it in.

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

WHat does their indy motor have to do with this one?

Sounds Cool Darth. I'm sure some nut will find a way to wedge it in.

I agree it sounds cool. Point is that GM powertrain built this engine and the Indy V8. The indy V8 was underpowered as compared to the competition. I just hope they didn't make the same mistake with the 4 cyl. in terms of reliability, you know, head gasket failure, FIRE etc.....Paul

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

The 4 cyl that Darth is talking about is based off the current 4.2L L6 in the Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and Oldsmobile Bravada (and now Buick Rainier).

Here's a pic of the 3.5L L5 thats in my Colorado...based off the L6 just like the new L4, the L5 and L4 share about 90% of their parts, if I remember correctly. 220 hp/225 ft-lbs of torque

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
lol, there's an engine under there?
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

lol, there's an engine under there?

So they claim

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
Naskie... the Colorado is a nice truck 'n all, but don't you find that 3.5 a little.. well.. lacking? Especially when you consider the S-10 had the 4.3, while lower horsepower, the thing hauled at the low end with the 250lbs of torque.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
ya, i'm kinda a fan of the good ol' 4.3. now is the colorodo gonna completely replace the S10 or can you still get the S10?? i really like the colorodo's looks but like i said i really liked the S10's drivetrain.

a bit off topic but did anyone see the new pontiac G6 in the latest motor trend?? it's suppose to replace the grand am sedan this summer, coupe this fall and then a convertible next summer. the updated look reminds me of the new grand prix but the new drive train sounds exciting...upping the hp on the gt and offering a GTP model with a saab drivetrain with a six-speed...verrrrry nice but i wish they woulda kept the grand am nameplate.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf:

Naskie... the Colorado is a nice truck 'n all, but don't you find that 3.5 a little.. well.. lacking? Especially when you consider the S-10 had the 4.3, while lower horsepower, the thing hauled at the low end with the 250lbs of torque.

I loved my '95 S-10 with the 4.3, , but I'd take the Colorado and its 3.5 in a heartbeat. The S-10 had a bit more low end grunt, but it ran out quick, whereas the Colorado keeps pulling, it feels like the torque curve on the 3.5 is much flatter than the one off the 4.3. I haven't seen any charts on it, thats just my impression after driving an S-10 with the 4.3 for 2+ years and having put 1800+ miles on the Colorado in about 11 days.

fastblack, you will be able to get the S-10 Crew Cab through the end of this year, and then it will have been replaced by the Colorado.

Darth - sorry to have hijacked the thread.

Nick

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
GM needs to build an AWD Colorado with a twin turbo Vortec 4200. Return of the Syclone. Lightning? SRT-10? F-what-50? SRT-been

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

PFF
System Bot
fotofrank

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fotofrankClick Here to visit fotofrank's HomePageSend a Private Message to fotofrankDirect Link to This Post
So, 175hp/185tq 2.8L 4cyl new from GM... what does this cosat? Does it really boplt up to the Fiero trans? How abouty motor mounts and stuff--emissions?

Frank

Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2004 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
back in the day there was an overhead cam setup for the superduty engine. Unfortunately it would be easier finding the holy grail then one of these heads and intakes. It was putting out up to 350 Hp in race engines. This head could be put on a 2.5L iron duke with some modification, but reliabillty would be questionable and again, finding someone who has these heads is probably impossible. The Parts numbers are:
Part Number Description
# 10049801 Super Duty Four High Port Special Aluminium Cylinder Head
# 10045427 Pontiac Super Duty Cylinder Head (Large Port) 1965-90
# 10038470 Intake Manifold (4V)
# 10093389 Intake Manifold
according to GM performance parts, but the numbers I found were pontiac motorsports numbers:
# KK0555 (cylinder head kit), KK0566 (carb manifold kit) and/or KK0557 (FI manifold kit).
If anyone has had any luck finding these parts, let everyone else know!

[This message has been edited by Avery Montembeault (edited 01-10-2004).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

GM needs to build an AWD Colorado with a twin turbo Vortec 4200. Return of the Syclone. Lightning? SRT-10? F-what-50? SRT-been

HELL YA!! i test drove a typhoon once a couple years back that was in MINT condition, the guy said that the original turbo went out so they put a "bigger" one on...he didn't know what kind it was though. that thing had SNAP! GM almost had a thing goin with the blazer Xtreme but it never really flew i guess, plus it just had the normal 2WD blazer drive train. still looked good though, coulda used a few more ponies though

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock