High Idel... Got some Q's by ManiMack
Started on: 01-07-2004 03:44 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: buddycraigg on 01-07-2004 06:32 PM
ManiMack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I spend allot of time today trying to figure out my high idle. First off I pulled the codes and just got a 35 (high idel). I then looked for vac leaks with throttle cleaner. I sprayed every vac line and it didn't do anything. I then pulled off the EGR and found that it didn't have a gasket on it. I sealed it with RTV and put it all together. Same 1600 RPM idle.

I still suspect the EGR so I sprayed the entire tube with the car running. If I spray the EGR tube where it connects to the intake/throttle body it will sputter a bit. So I suspect I have a bad seal or my tube is slightly cracked.

Just now though I reset the computer and took it for a drive. I am now showing codes 33 AND 35. . I am hoping that this is just because the EGr is slightly leaking. This whole thing has me confused because sometimes the car idles perfectly (mostly when its warmed up), but other times it will idle at like 2200 RPM.

So what should I do now? I am guessing I should take off the EGR tube and go from there? Is there anything else it could be? I checked all the vac lines I could without taking a bunch of stuff apart.

Any help would be very appreciated. I know this is kind of a FAQ, but just don't know what I should do next!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
I only have experience with the Fiero v-6.

It is likely that the EGR tube is cracked where it is welded to the flange that bolts to the intake plenum. As the engine temperature changes this tube moves around sometimes opening the crack wider and sometimes closing it altogether. This would explain why your idle is sometimes high and sometimes good.

This happened on both my 85SE v-6 and my 85GT. I replaced the tube on the SE but simply had the GT's tube re-welded for about $15.00 US.

There is a large vacuum tube that goes between the throttle body and the intake manifold. It is easily overlooked because it is on the lower side of the throttle body and isn't easy to get to. Try spraying the cleaner where it plugs into the throttle body to see if that is your leak source.

ManiMack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Yes this is on a V6.

Just checked the line under intake.... Its good as are all my lines.

Does welding normally work well to fix the EGR tube?

EDIT I forgot to ask... What is code 33 ? PFF says its MAP but my chiltons says MAF?
This code is one thing that is bother me, it just poped up from nowhere.

I'm now almost certain its my EGR tube.

[This message has been edited by ManiMack (edited 01-07-2004).]

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
Take two pennies.
Grind the very edge on one side so they look like this
/=====\
take the egr pipe off.
Set one penny in each gasket between the pipe and the gasket.
Put it back together.
No more egr problems

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock