Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  check engine light, until warm.. any ideas?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

check engine light, until warm.. any ideas? by Weponhead
Started on: 01-06-2004 03:15 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Weponhead on 01-08-2004 01:56 AM
Weponhead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I am getting a check engine light a few minutes after i start my fiero, 85 GT.. still bone stock, The check engine light seems to go off after the engine warms up and the engine bay is warm too, If i turn the car off for about 10 seconds then start it again while the check engine light is on, it goes away for about a minute and then comes back on, What could it be? is something not functioning right until it gets warm? I dont feel or notice any difference in handling or acceleration while the light is on... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Take off access panel to ALDL, which is the plastic panel that the cigarette lighter is in. With a paper clip bent in a "U" shape, ground A and B terminals of ALDL, turn ign to on. SES light will flash code 12 (flash....flash,flash) three times, then any error codes will flash three times, then back to code 12. Find out what the error code is and let us know......Paul
Misred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisredSend a Private Message to MisredDirect Link to This Post
...yes check your code via the port by the cigg lighter...could be that its just the idle speed being 50rpm high(orlow). That will make our little yellow fellow come on. After the idle resets to spec it behaves. If this is all thats buggin your ECM....man are you lucky
REd
Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
well it doesnt come on at idle only.. it comes on while sitting and idling OR driving do ill go check that.. thanks!

[This message has been edited by Weponhead (edited 01-06-2004).]

InDeX420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

Take off access panel to ALDL, which is the plastic panel that the cigarette lighter is in. With a paper clip bent in a "U" shape, ground A and B terminals of ALDL, turn ign to on. SES light will flash code 12 (flash....flash,flash) three times, then any error codes will flash three times, then back to code 12. Find out what the error code is and let us know......Paul

Sorry to butt-in, but the A and B terminals are on bottom left of connector first 2...with the key(notch) on connector pointin down...just incase ya didnt know...

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
thanks index, i figured it out VIA the ECM codes link on the main PFF page, Im getting code 23 my MAT sensor.. is it urgent that i replace this? what could it effect? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks..

Weponhead

Powerstroke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PowerstrokeSend a Private Message to PowerstrokeDirect Link to This Post
You and your Fiero are at great risk.....Imagine a ball of fire going 65 miles per hour around the Capital Beltway.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....you must give your car to me or die......aaaaahahahahahahahahahah(evil laugh)

Lovingly, Your Dad,

Powerstroke
(Really, I am weponhead's dad)

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Weponhead:

thanks index, i figured it out VIA the ECM codes link on the main PFF page, Im getting code 23 my MAT sensor.. is it urgent that i replace this? what could it effect? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks..

Weponhead

It sends a signal to ECM to adjust fuel/timing based on the incoming air temp. I would say the electrical connection could be bad, or the sensor itself. I would replace it and if you still have the problem, then the connector or wires are shorting......Paul

BTW, it is located on the outside of the air filter cannister.

[This message has been edited by Paul Prince (edited 01-07-2004).]

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
It bolts on it and i belive it goes into the air canister, ive yet to pull it to examine it, too damn cold outside doesnt break freezing much.. need to clear out the garage and fire up the heaters and do some work ...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock