Painting engine bay a different color? by MooCow
Started on: 01-06-2004 10:02 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-06-2004 03:39 PM
MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
What kind of paint do you think would be good for painting the engine bay area? I am removing all of the crappy insulation except the rear fire wall. That I am going to use the shiny type for. The rest of the engine bay is black, and I am wanting to paint it the same color as the outside of my car. I am assuming that I have to get high temp heat paint to do this. Can a paint place match my car color and make it into high temp? I am sure that I will have to do a lot of prep work. Do you think it would be best to prime it all before painting or just painting will be fine?

Thanks Ken

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I've looked into this too because it looks just too damn good painted the body color.

everyone I've asked agrees that you can used regular base coat clear coat.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
The factory paint isn't high temp, it's just good ole chassis black primer. The biggest pain would probably getting everything super clean. You shouldn't need high temp paint in there.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

I've looked into this too because it looks just too damn good painted the body color.

everyone I've asked agrees that you can used regular base coat clear coat.

I have been told the same thing by several paint shop's that I have talked to about painting "SmoothGT"... So, maybe this is true, But, I am not convinced that they know anything about the temp's that the Fiero engine bay make's. I don't know if the Fiero engine bay get's hotter then any other car...
I have'nt done it, just been told! Someone that has done it will see this maybe and answer it for all of us..

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
You don't need high temp. paint on the firewall, it doesn't get that hot on the wall and if it does there is a problem. Most high temp. paints are 450-500 degrees. Unless you plan on cleaning the motor are really good every week, I would just paint it a high gloss black. Black hides dirk and grease and just repainting it black was really easy. I took brake cleaner and sprayed alittle spot wiped it clean and continued and then was done in a 1/2 hour, sprayed it and was done. Looks great black, save the colored parts for easy to get to areas, trust me! Yellow or red will show up everything and look like crap, even if its just alittle dirty in it gets dirty under there quick!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon

MooCow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
I know that I am not going to keep it black just because its blah looking to me. This also isn't a daily driver Fiero, as I have my Ranger for that. Now can I use the spray cans or should I use a gun when painting a color on?

Thanks Ken

Deezlfitr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeezlfitrSend a Private Message to DeezlfitrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MooCow:

I know that I am not going to keep it black just because its blah looking to me. This also isn't a daily driver Fiero, as I have my Ranger for that. Now can I use the spray cans or should I use a gun when painting a color on?

Thanks Ken

Ken, I've restored more than my share of vintage Corvettes and when repainting the engine bays I always used Rust-O-Leum satin black spray cans... after a VERY THOROUGH cleaning. I also used tha same paint in a can for brushing into those areas that seem to be missed and for touch-ups. I NEVER had a problem with heat and keeping it pristine was quite easy. Good luck and post some pics!

------------------
Deezlfitr
"Life is just a bowl of cherries... ya just gotta watch out for the pits!"

1986 GT/Auto (my first)

MooCow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
I plan to post pics don't worry. Have to get everything clean and preped before I can start painting. I just have to decide on color now. I think I am going to make it the same color as the body.

Thanks Ken

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
my engine bay has been grey primer for about 2 years. i'm thinking next time i pull the engine i'll go to something more cheerful.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
just regular basecoat and clearcoat is perfectly fine. Another one is just plain acrylic enamel (dont need clearcoat) Both will look great. You really dont even need hi heat paint for engine block, heads, or accessories either. Ive painted engines, trans, parts, brakes for years with just reg paint with no problem.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock