rear passage side brake locked up! by wingman
Started on: 01-05-2004 06:45 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: wingman on 01-07-2004 04:44 AM
wingman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post
after all the engine problems.......now this.
i pretty sure i know what it is.my e-brake is not hooked up.when i had that brake done(it caught fire because of this problem)he hooked the e-brake piece in a way he said it wouldnt come off.i'm not for sure but i think thats it.how do i fix this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bonehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoneheadSend a Private Message to BoneheadDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure what you are saying about the ebrake. If it is not hooked up how did it cause the wheel to lock up?
wingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post
the mech i took it to said that the spring will make it ingage unless the cable is hooked up.
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wingman:

the mech i took it to said that the spring will make it ingage unless the cable is hooked up.

If the spring is making the ebrake engage, the you've got a calipers that was rebuilt wrong. I've found two of them that were assembled with piston assembles from the wrong side. I.e. a right caliper with a left piston assembly. (the ebrake is on when the lever is against the stops.) I don't know where these calipers come from, because both of mine where on the cars when I bought them and when I tried to get the ebrakes working I found the problem. I'd like to know what store sold them so I could track the problem.

Good luck,
Dave

Dropzone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DropzoneSend a Private Message to DropzoneDirect Link to This Post
Call me crazy, but doesn't the e.brake cable put the tension on the caliper to engage the e.brake feature and the spring merely return the brake arm back to a neutral position once the tension is removed....

------------------
-jason
'87SE

Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Replace the brake hose!! I had a caliper 'lockup' and catch fire. It turned out to be the brake hose. The metal clip that holds it in place rusted on the inside of the clip, where it contacts the rubber. The rust swells and pinches the hose!!!! It acts like a check valve and builds up pressure at the piston and won't release the brakes.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 01-06-2004).]

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
yep, i'm voting on the hose as a good place to start.

turn the wheel, notice how much pressure is on the rotor.
now open the bleeder and turn the wheel again. if it's easier then it's probably the hose.
if there is no change then the caliper is holding or the e-brake part of the piston is causing problems

wingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post
found the problem.i dont remember who on the forum said neon wheels fit,but their WRONG!the inside of the wheel was hitting the top corner of the caliper.switched back to stock wheels and all is well.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
so does this mean you finally have that thing on the road???
wingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

so does this mean you finally have that thing on the road???

YES

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock