V8 clearance in an '88 by Tugboat
Started on: 01-05-2004 12:02 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Tugboat on 01-05-2004 09:42 PM
Tugboat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
I've got an '88 I'm planning to put a 302 Chevy in with an Archie kit. Will any of the tight clearance headers work? I noticed Tom Corey is using Sanderson headers, are these cast or tubular?

Also, how hard is it to get the valve covers off? Is a mechanical cam out of the question or just in the "masochist" category? (I might be able to handle that.)

Thanks
GL

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
The Sandersons are tubular steel and fit fine. The Chevy ram horn manifolds are old, cast iron, and look funny, but flow as good as headers and cost a lot less. The only clearance issues with the '88 cars is the narrow cradle. It all fits, though.

I had to use tall covers to clear my aluminum rockers. I was going to use a solid lifter cam, but switched to hydraulic. Look at the pics HERE and you will see why. I used the bottom holes on the front mount and made solid tranny mounts from 1-1/2" square tubing. There is no way I'm getting those covers off without swinging the cradle. Low profile covers and use of the lower holes will make cover removal possible.

------------------

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! It looks like roller rockers are out of the question anyway. I'd hate to not be able to get the valve covers off at all.

GL

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
I dont have an 88 fiero but I have an 84 fiero with an 88 rear subframe. I run a V8 with roller rockers. They fit under low profile valve covers. I run a mechanical lifter cam and take off the valve covers once in a while to make adjustments. The valve covers on my fiero come off easily, no problem. here's a pic of the engine compartment...

http://www.kewlgeeks.com/Ray/images/DSCN1298.jpg

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The strut towers on 88's are slightly closer together than on pre-88. Not sure if that causes any problems or not.
tripple8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tripple8Send a Private Message to tripple8Direct Link to This Post
I use two-piece valve covers and roller rockers.(The ones B&M used to make) To remove the rear valve cover, I remove the top and 4 rockers closest to the strut tower. After that, the lower part of the valve cover comes off just fine.

------------------
1988 Coupe
327 v8

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Tugboat,
I have a 350 TPI with the lower valve covers. I still have to tilt the cradle down to get the covers off. see pic. As far as the headers go, the tubular headers do fit with the manual, but with the automatic trans it's tough to route the exhaust cleanly around the trans ISC and output shaft CV Boot. You will need to remove the rear trunk for the automatic. Where in the heck did you ever find a 302 (DZ code I assume). With the sandersons you could wind up with 2 1/2" outlets but with the rams horn cast iron you wind up with a very restrictive 2" outlet. There are also Corvette rams horn cast iron manifolds with 2 1/2" outlets but are pricey.

[This message has been edited by Bazooka (edited 01-05-2004).]

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys!

It's not a real 302, except for the crank. 327 block, and I do have another steel 283 crank or two. I picked up a set of pistons a guy tried to put into his 327. He came into the shop I was working at, asking if he could run a couple head gaskets to make up for the pistons sticking out of the block. We got him some new cast 327 pistons, I wound up with the 302 forgings for $100.

Or I could always build a 283, that would be unique.

GL

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock