Started on: 01-04-2004 10:00 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: ezramore on 01-06-2004 04:27 PM
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever thought to coat their trunk in that rhino-lining stuff or the roll on version? That stuff is water proof, chemical resistant, impact resistant...hell, with a good coat, you could haul 50 gallons of water in the trunk. I think it would make a great alternative to the carpet. So, anyone tried it?

------------------
87 GT Auto, Beretta GTZ Wheels, 225/50-16 Dunlop SP Sport A2s, Poly cradle/swaybar bushings, KYB shocks/struts, RCC Bumpsteer kit, 1" front & 7/8" rear swaybars, NYM rear springs (stiffest), H4 headlights, Fierowarehouse Scorpion scoop, 88GTNeverfinished tails, Repainted all silver, Fiero Store hitch, Accel SSR wires, Rapidfire plugs, K&N filters.
Future mods: Rear control arm poly bushings, Front mounted battery, Hood pressure vent.

Totalled!!! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036358.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Morkidan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorkidanSend a Private Message to MorkidanDirect Link to This Post
No but im sure you can do it, I have also thought this to be a great idea

------------------
86 2.8 V6 fastback GT
65k original miles

mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

Has anyone ever thought to coat their trunk in that rhino-lining stuff or the roll on version? That stuff is water proof, chemical resistant, impact resistant...hell, with a good coat, you could haul 50 gallons of water in the trunk. I think it would make a great alternative to the carpet. So, anyone tried it?

hmmm, rhino-lining + skitime window on decklid + 50 gallons water = my new fishtank!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
50 gallons of water would weigh over 400 lbs, the trunk is rated for only 100 lbs. However, beef up the rear suspension a bit and if the coating is proof against gasoline, it might be an easy way to extend the range on your Fiero. Imagine the fuel station attendant's face when you pop the trunk and proceed to fill it up with gas.

JazzMan

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
trunk is only rated for 100lbs?
its held my 245lb lard ass many of times while working on it
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
yeah i think its rated for more than 100 lbs becuase i was just standing in my 2 days ago and i weigh 175
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I do not condone or endorse using the trunk as a spare tank. Keep in mind that the whole trunk area of the car is actually a CRUMPLE ZONE. 50 gallons of gasoline + the big rig that hit me = fireball of death (see my sig link). Plus, 450 pounds BEHIND the axle would really unbalance the handling.

[This message has been edited by Bigfieroman (edited 01-04-2004).]

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
50 gal of gas weiths about 450 pounds!

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
So noone ever did this?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GARY TUCKER:

50 gal of gas weiths about 450 pounds!

That's 350...

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2004 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
From the MVMA document on the 1988 Fiero, the capacity of the trunk is 5.85 cu. ft and mass of 100.1 lbs. 5.85 cu. ft. is only 43.7 gallons, so the extra 6.3 gallons of fuel will need to be kept in the cabin.

Just repeating what I read. I've had much more than that in my trunk, and it makes the car fairly squirrely.

JazzMan

PFF
System Bot
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I made a pretty close guess then...
freedog81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedog81Send a Private Message to freedog81Direct Link to This Post
Its been done and came out pretty good in my opinion. Check the archives I believe the owner also did the engine compartment at the same time because he was doing an engine swap or somehing.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
The front compartment (spare tire) is already watertight. Everytime I wash the car, I can see cocentric rings inside where the water has left mineral deposits when drying.
FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

trunk is only rated for 100lbs?
its held my 245lb lard ass many of times while working on it

LOL I hear that. Those sparks are kinda hard to get to as it is even standing in the trunk.

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post

FieroGT87

3195 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

That's 350...

I think your right. Water is 8 lbs per gallon and gas wieghs less.

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
I rhino lined the trunk of my chevy caprice and it worked out nicely. no noticable change as far as sound proofing, but it does not scratch easy when I put stuff in it. Only issue I had with it is after a couple years it starts to fade in color. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by doing this however it does work. Have fun.

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4 90000 Miles

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
Whatever you do dont use the roll on stuff. I had a ranger I used it on. The crap they gave me at Pep Boyz looked like black Crisco and protected about as well. Ended up sandblasting it off and putting in a bed rug.

Its all crap. No matter how many coats you use it's worthless!!!

------------------
Failing to prepare - Is preparing to fail....

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

WBailey1041

Hmmm, Glendale Heights...... Gold GT by any chance? I've seen one driving around a few times in that area.

I'm just a few miles south of you.

Jeff of NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff of NCSend a Private Message to Jeff of NCDirect Link to This Post
I did the whole floor pan of my wrangler about 6 mounths ago using duplicolor's roll on bedliner. One coat was enough to make one cote of the the whole floore pan, including the cargo ariea, but not enough to cover the back weel wells. So a can should do several fiero trunks. I was thrilled with how it came out, and it has lasted good so far. just be sure to get the textured roller (it comes in a kit) and if you have any hard to reach spots that you have to brush apply with a brush, dab it on insted of brushing it. Email me if you want some pics.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
You guy do know that they sell trunk paint right? If you buy the good stuff it gets really hard whe it dries. Its not like a truckbed, where your going to be putting really heavy stuff in it. I think I may loss the bottum of my trunk when I do the swap, I was thinking about just using the spacal paint or what ever they call it.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon

PFF
System Bot
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
I used spray in bed liner when i did mine worked well. Ill try the roll in next time. I used the so called Trunk paint before and it worked ok. Required a lot more prep work than the bed liner though and ended up eventually peeling off. The bed liner has been on there for almost 3 years now and though a little faded it is still strong.

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4 90000 Miles

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock