Started on: 01-04-2004 01:22 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: cjgable on 01-22-2004 06:05 PM
derangedsheep

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
My car was originally a hardtop but an aftermarket sunroof was put in before I got it. I would like to go back to hard top. What is invloved in the process of changing the roof panel?

Steve

------------------

87 GT Auto: New Ignition System, New Stereo System, New Radiator. Fiero Warehouse Scorpion SideScoop. Got the stuff for inspection. Been sitting at the mechanic's for a week and still not done.
AIM: derangedsheep | email: elcodjsteveo@comcast.net
SUPPORTING MEMBER

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
What you want to do is really not that difficult at all, just time consuming. You have to removed the headliner and there are some bolts/screws that you have to remove. Then up by the wiper arms there are a few more bolts/nuts. Then comes the fun part, seperating the glue from the a-pillars. Just make sure you have some "spacers" that you can shove in between the roof panel and the actual a pillar, that way the glue doesn't reattach itself.

I think I remember people saying doing it on a hot day is easier, or have a heat gun by your side. I don't think I left anything out, if I did, someone here will correct me. Good luck.

Eric

------------------

mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
When you are separating the a pillar from the chassis, use wax paper to keep it from sticking back. It works great. If you need any help doing it, let me know and i'll stop over.

Matt

[This message has been edited by mattm (edited 01-04-2004).]

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
you cay theres stuff by the wiper arms. you meen the black plastic cowl thing has to be taken out? THat would be ok because i want to repaint it anyway.

Thanks for the offer Matt. When i find the roof panel, i might give you a call, or IM.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Yes, that panel will have to be removed. If I get around to doing mine before you do your's, I will post pics for you. But I don't think that will happen. First I have to get new bumpers and Archies IRM rockers. And a host of other little things. O well, in time I guess.

Eric

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
Yes he needs to elaborate the a little. Remove wipers, wiper cowl, washer nozzle hose, then you will see a fiberglass portion that is part of the roof bolted down. This job is really tedious and a PITA, be patient or the A pillar fiberglass section will break, especially when tying to get it away from the windshield & moulding
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Be patient or the A pillar fiberglass section will break, especially when tying to get it away from the windshield & moulding

You don't have any personal experiance with this do you???

Sorry, I should have elaborated some, but I have never done it, just knew that I needed to dig up there until I get to the fiberglass piece. Thanks for the correction Shawn. [Honestly]

Eric

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Considering I just did this, this weekend. After you unbolt all of the bolts in front by the base of the winshield, and underneath the headliner, get a long knife or something to GRADUALLY loosen the seal strip that is right next to the upper winshield frame. Work slowly and the warmer the better. Don't rush! The last one had more sealant than the other three that I have done. Pull gently, scrap or cut the sealant, pull gently, etc.... The roof is stronger (flexs less) without the sunroof option, but you can reach the sealant area more easily. Work (pull)from the lower edge of the roof (upper windshield side) also if you are able. Start in the center and work to the outside edges to help prevent cracking the A pillars. Mark
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post

Mark A. Klein

608 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Considering I just did this, this weekend. After you unbolt all of the bolts in front by the base of the winshield, and underneath the headliner, get a long knife or something to GRADUALLY loosen the seal strip that is right next to the upper winshield frame. Work slowly and the warmer the better. Don't rush! The last one had more sealant than the other three that I have done. Pull gently, scrap or cut the sealant, pull gently, etc.... The roof is stronger (flexs less) without the sunroof option, but you can reach the sealant area more easily. Work (pull)from the lower edge of the roof (upper windshield side) also if you are able. Start in the center and work to the outside edges to help prevent cracking the A pillars. Mark
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
I've done this a few times. Good advise here. One small detail, the bolts along the top of the front fenders and possibly some of the 7mm screws around the wheel opening will need to be removed so the fenders can be pulled back just enough to get the roof off. If I remember right the roof panel is under the rearward most bolts of the fender.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
What if I leave the A pillars intact and splice the roof about 3" down then fiberglass the A pillars?.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

4.5/4.9 (RSR)Hi Perf. Caddi-V8 Fully Blueprint&Balanced Rotating Assembly
Custom Intake Manifold
Custom Machined Heads
Victor Reinz Head Gaskets
50-150HP Nos Power Shot.
Holley 510-0-4412C Carb.

PFF
System Bot
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Dude, If you can avoid it, do not cut the pillars. It will actually be easier to unbolt the fenders and unattach the skin than reglassing the pillars to look good again. Also, if you cut the pillars you run the risk of the repairwork cracking under new paint and weakening of the pillars. The skin does have some structural importance.

Chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock