Started on: 12-30-2003 01:42 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: T-top Fiero on 12-31-2003 08:25 AM
FastIndyFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here's the deal. I have a Super Duty head getting prepped to go into my Indy. I believe it's already setup to use 7/16" studs (I'll go measure and make sure tomorrow). I've been looking at 1.7:1 big block chevy rockers. These will work, won't they?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2003 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
I dont want to talk about it. I am so jealous its stupid. Bastard! LOL.
T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes they will work. I use Crane Energizer 1.7:1 roller rockers on my '84 2.5.

Pat

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Pat, thanks for the info once again.

Donk, the place I got my head from has another one up for sale. I can PM you the details if you want!

Nate

EDIT: T-top, how would you rate the quality of those Crane rockers? I can't be using something that will be shedding chunks of aluminum into my engine. I've been looking at the Harland Sharp rockers also...

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 12-30-2003).]

fotofrank

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fotofrankClick Here to visit fotofrank's HomePageSend a Private Message to fotofrankDirect Link to This Post
Yes 1.7:1 ratio will work . The stock head uses 1.75:1 ratio. If you increase the intake ratio or decress the exhaust ratio you will incress torque. Please check for the recomended ratio for the SD head. It may be the same as stock. Especially if the rest of the block and componants are stock. Also longer push rods may be nessesary.

You have a head the "breathes" wonderfully. Don't cramp it's style with the wrong ratio rockers.
Frank

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
I've had the Crane rockers installed since July with no problems.
As Frank says, the stock ratio is 1.75:1, so if you go with the 1.7:1 rockers you will be loosing a little lift at the valves if you keep the same camshaft. I am using a higher lift camshaft with my 1.7:1 rockers.
The SD build ups in the Pontiac Performance Plus magazines used 1.55:1 & 1.6:1 rockers with high lift camshafts.

Pat

[This message has been edited by T-top Fiero (edited 12-30-2003).]

yons

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yonsSend a Private Message to yonsDirect Link to This Post
what size pushrods do you use? sbc pushrods too..

------------------
85 fiero se soon to be custom

www.fibersmith.net
a great place for your needs, and it looks great too

for great rim repair-- $75.00 with power coating
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/wheelrepair/location.html

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
When I converted to the roller rockers I needed a longer pushrod. The stock length for the '84 2.5 is 8.976". After using an adjustable pushrod length checker I found that I needed a pushrod of around 9.2" for the roller rockers.

Pat

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2003 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Heh, my Haynes manual says 9.754 for the '84 pushrods. I guess I'll just go out and measure mine, for good measure . Stupid Haynes.

I am using this head with a higher lift camshaft. I'm going to pull the timing chain cover and see if I can't find a grind number or something on my cam (previous owner's addition).

T-top, do you have any more information from those Pontiac magazines? A web link or something would be nice, but not neccessary.

MMM...More research...

Oh well, by the time I get done with this thing, it will be put together right.

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
The pushrod length info in the Haynes manual is wrong. I saw that too, but after looking at the specs in the factory service manual and actually measuring one the 8.976" listed in the factory manual is correct.
I have all the Pontiac Performance Plus magazines, but have no way to scan them. If you need any info just let me know.

Pat

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock