4cyl Trouble by DeLorean247
Started on: 12-28-2003 11:42 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Whuffo on 12-29-2003 09:55 PM
DeLorean247

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean247Send a Private Message to DeLorean247Direct Link to This Post
I was inspecting the engine bay for the reason i have oil on the valve cover.. Then i fired up the car without the airfilter housing on and noticed oil/oil vapor coming from the thing on the valve cover.. The thing to the left NOT the pcv valve. It was sputtering away.. it had filled the aircleaner area with a good amount of oil. What is that black plastic thing? why is oil able to come through this?

Thanks
-Michael

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
It is the inlet vent, air should have been going IN this hole.

First off you need to verify PCV opperation. If it is not working fix it. If it is working you have a very worn out engine.

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
What Electrathon said.

My first Fiero was a 85 with a 2.5 and it was well on its way to dying but I wouldn't let it.

There was so much "Blow-By" past the worn rings it would presurize the interior of the engine and it would come out into the air cleaner like you described.

It's possible the PCV valve is bad and contributing to the problem also.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

fotofrank

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fotofrankClick Here to visit fotofrank's HomePageSend a Private Message to fotofrankDirect Link to This Post
The "thing" to the left on the valve cover is a filter. It is suppose to vent gas vapor to the TBI for emissions. Yours is most likely clogged now. Check the PVC valve. Disconnet it and shake it. This a a rudimentary test. If the valve doesn't rattle replace it.

Best guess is blow by. Check commpression and have the engine repaired or replaced.

Frank

DeLorean247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean247Send a Private Message to DeLorean247Direct Link to This Post
Well i took off the pcv valve.. Its not really a valve atall.. Its a curved hunk of plastis that connects the rubber hose from the trottle body to the valve cover? Is mine missing something?
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean247:

Well i took off the pcv valve.. Its not really a valve atall.. Its a curved hunk of plastis that connects the rubber hose from the trottle body to the valve cover? Is mine missing something?

The valve is metal and it's in the hose leading to that black plastic elbow. Replace it; they're cheap - and if you're getting blow-by into the air filter it'll most likely help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock